Rotax 582-90 Parts for Sale

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi, Avid and 582 flyers. I’ve been following the Yahoo Avid group for several years but am new to the AvidFoxFlyers website.

I’ve been flying a 582-90 powered Avid Mark IV Aerobat for a while and have enjoyed the plane greatly, but last year the Rotax suffered an in-flight connecting rod failure with only 200 operating hours on the engine. I’m now replacing that engine with a VW and so have a lot of 2 stroke supplies and 582 parts that I would like to get out of my hangar. I’m asking half or less than the cost of new replacement components.

The connecting rod failure caused the piston to be slammed back into the lower crankcase so the crankshaft assembly and lower crankcase are un-serviceable but the remaining engine parts are available for repair or replacement. The core engine can be parted out or sold as is.

Some other components available besides the core engine are magneto end starter and components, HAC module and a Bing 54 carb with the HAC vacuum tap, water temp gauge and sensor, PowerFin 3 blade 68 inch ground adjustable prop, 2 stroke oil, spark plugs, Avid MK IV 582 radiators, engine mounts & injection oil tank, Key West voltage regulator, and other 2 stroke support items.

Please check the following for a complete list and contact me off forum if interested.

Thanks,
Gene Letourneau

e_letourneau@yahoo.com

828-243-7234

Hendersonville, North Carolina

Avid Mark IV extended span Aerobat, N227TG

Rotax 582-90 Parts for Sale

200 hour 582-90 core engine sold as is (un-serviceable upper crankcase and crankshaft), $900

Includes:

ignition units

exhaust with bolt on exhaust clamps,

carbs with spare jet needles and needle jets and various main jets,

thermostat with gasket and bent cooling outlet

Other Components

Avid Flyer injection oil reservoir, $5

Avid Flyer Mark IV radiators with radiator cap assembly & overflow bottle, $160

Avid Flyer 582 old style engine mount, $50

Avid Flyer 582 dyna-smooth engine mount, $50

PowerFin Model F, 3 blade 68 inch ground adjustable prop, $600

3:1 Type C gear box, $250 - SOLD

Magneto end starter, cover, gear, adapter, damper & starter relay, $900

Mikuni dual output pulse fuel pump and rebuild kit, $25

Key West voltage regulator, $35

Bing 54 carburetor with vacuum tap for HAC, $200

HAC automatic mixture control module $30

Westach water temperature gauge & sensor, $50

K&N air filter clean & oil kit, $10

Eight BR8ES & four BR8EV spark plugs, $30

Quaker State/Pennzoil 2 stroke oil – Forty 8 oz bottles, $40

5 position ACS ignition switch, $50

Kwik Tune tool, $5

582 tool bag, $5

Two primers, $10 for both

Core engine components, if parted out

Water pump, $100

RV oil tank & cap, $35

Oil injection pump, $100

Two Bing 54 carburetors with spare jet needles and needle jets and various main jets, $200 each

Two Ducati ignition modules, $150 each

Thermostat & gasket, $60

Right angle cooling outlet, $25

Cylinder head, Mod 90, $400

Two cylinders with sleeves, $500 each

Rotary valve, shaft & gear, $150

Rotary valve cover, $170

Oil pump gear and mounting flange, $100

Magneto/generator flywheel, stator plate, coil, $650

Ignition pickup, $70 each

Exhaust – muffler, connecting elbow, manifold with bolt on exhaust clamps, $450

Edited by Gene L

Posted

I have a friend (non-computer guy) looking for 582 - Avid components.  I will forward you list to him.

If you've been on the Yahoo forum for a while you know that the VW will be a long, frustrating uphill battle.  I can't name a single successfully flying VW in the Kitfox/Avid community.  I can name several who have tried and either given up and parted out their total project or went with a different engine after much frustration and expense.  

I wish you luck with it.

Posted

I 100% agree with Larry.

Not to trying at all to insult your decision. On the surface it seems like a very good one. Reliable and inexpensive engine on a plane that seems an ideal match. But it isn't. The engine weighs too much for the airframe, and you will need to put weight in the tail to bring it into a nicely flyable CG. Any performance gain you hope you will gain will be lost in excess weight and reduced useful load. The performance of these planes is SUPER weight critical if you desire good short field takeoff and landing performance. 

A lot of horse power with associated weight may give you a nice flying plane that goes fast and works good for runway to runway flying, but running at or near gross all the time completely spoils what the planes were originally designed to do. Just ask me having completed a trip to Oshkosh and back in my Avid at gross weight! Worked super well but NOT an awesome performer at getting off quick or landing short!

if you want 80-100 HP Rotax is a great choice but even the Rotax will require a small amount of weight in the tail to bring it into an optimal CG. Rotax 80 HP engines are coming up on the market frequently for GREAT prices. Many are buying them and installing a piston/cylinder kit which boosts the power to over 100 HP while still being able to run regular gas. IMO this is the best 4 cycle option for the larger Avids (MKIV Fat Avid etc)

if you want four stroke reliability at an optimal weight and balance, and are willing to live with less power HKS is a great choice, but your performance will be a bit less than your 582. More like in between 582 and 503.

2 people like this