Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cross-shaft gearbox leak

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys,

My greyhead 582 has begun to leak oil, apparently out of the cross-shaft gearbox, as the level keeps going down in the little reservoir, even with the plane sitting in the garage.  This happens over the course of several days.  I am inclined to continue flying the plane locally, keeping close tabs on the oil level.  Is this a dumb idea?  That gearbox is deep within the engine, and I imagine a near-complete teardown would be required in order to renew the seals.  Ergo question #2:  Who in WA or OR works on these engines?  Not too many snowmachine shops down here, I reckon.  Thanks, Turbo

Posted

I wouldn’t keep flying it. Oil and coolant mix when that seal goes and it’s a brass Gear. Catastrophic failure if it goes dry. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Reading up, I have gained the impression that replacing the two seals on the crankshaft essentially mandate a new or rebuilt crank, which is expensive.  If it's the seals on the valve shaft, I may see either nothing, or brown oil goo/oil foam forming in my cooling system, depending on which seal has the issue.  So far, no goo.  I'll keep an eye on that, too.  Goo is clearly a non-starter.  Thanks for the input, Joey.  Looks like I've got some expenses on the horizon.

Posted

I had the same issue Turbo.  The previous owner/builder had stored the aircraft for 12 yrs before I bought it from him, 10 yrs into the storage, he pulled the motor (260 TT), sent it out to overhaul (somebody in MI).  When I got the plane, said 582 came with it pickled in a box.  I ran it on the ground for several hours after hanging it when the injector reservoir started pissing out oil.  Those lil seals have a finite life whether in use or not.  I wound up shipping the motor off to Rotax Rick in FL who did me a fine job on a total overhaul which included a few updates with respect to crank balancer and pistons.  W/shipping, I was only out $1800 (several yrs ago) and felt it well worth it especially when you contrast to the expense of something like a 912 or normal cat motor.  The 582 works for my limited flying budget in that regard.  Good luck and keep us appraised.

1 person likes this