Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Nylaflow Poly-flow fittings problems

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I am finally close to finished with my brake conversion from the mechanical drum to matco disk. I bought new nylaflow tubing and poly-flow fittings from ACS. I tried tightening them up today but when I gave a quick tug test on the lines they all pulled out of the fittings pretty easy. I can't find any info on installation for these things to figure out what I am doing wrong? Has anyone else used these things that can pass along the trick to connecting them?

Thanks,

Dan

Posted

I've always used brass 1/8" brass fittings with the nylaflow tubing and don't seem to have any problem.  Auto parts store or good hardware store will have the 1/8" brass fittings.  JImChuk

Posted

It also helps if you use the .035 wall tubing rather than the .050. I couldn't get the .050 to seat consistently into the fitting. When it doesn't it will pull or blow out when you put a heavy foot on the brakes. I checked with Matco and was told that the  .035 was plenty strong.

Jack

Posted

Try tightening them up a little more they should work for you.

Posted (edited)

I figured out the problem. Apparently the fittings had been tightened a little before they were shipped to me from ACS. The ferrules in the nuts were already compressed to the point that the tubing would not go in far enough. I noticed this when I opened the 2 spares that I had and was able to push the tubing all the way through. I ordered new replacement nuts by themselves and they went together fine. I have hydraulic brakes on my Avid now and it holds better than the cable drum brakes did. Now it is time to tweak the geometry on the pedals to get more pressure.

Dan

Edited by dav8or
1 person likes this

Posted

I cut and re-welded the master cylinder mounting tabs on the pedals to get better leverage and I can now hold the plane at 4500rpm without creeping. I think it will get better as the pads bed in on the rotors. I am happy to have brakes that work finally.

2 people like this