Avid B Sheriffs Auction on 10/2/18. 10:30am.

55 posts in this topic

Posted

I have posted this before, guess I will do it again.  

This came straight from the mouth of the designer when I talked to him (thanks Joey for putting me in contact with Dean).  The aft CG limit that was listed is very conservative.  Dean chose that because the original dream was to have a plane a guy could build then learn to fly.  A nose heavy airplane flies poorly, a tail heavy airplane flies once.. Dean stated they had tested back to 21" but cautioned me to not stall it at anything further back than 20" unless you had full flaps in as the tail would drop and you would not get the nose back down.  I personally like to fly mine at 16-18".  Yes it flies better, gets off the ground faster and actually does land slower.  I can fly at neutral elevator trim instead of full nose up trim if I fly it a more forward CG.  This equates to less drag, more speed, better climb and a much better handling airplane.

You can sit at the keyboard and argue thoughts all day long, but until you actually get out and do it yourself its nothing but hearsay.  I personally HATE the way the plane flys at the forward CG range.  Its a slug compared to the more rearward CG.  I have loaded mine to the point that full nose down trim was not doing the trick anymore and I had to pull in about half flaps to keep the tail up.  Was not the worlds best feeling and I damn sure didn't slow the bird down, but it got the load to the remote island I was heading for and delivered a hell of a load of groceries, beer and sodas. 

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

The first Avid I bought was an early speedwing. Inside the fuselage running from the seat back to the tail was a length of 2 inch or so PVC pipe, with a pulley at each end. Inside the pipe was a lead slug about ten inches long threaded on to a continuous loop of sash cord which ran around the pulleys  By working the sash cord you could move the slug as far forward as the seat back and as far aft as the leading edge of the elevator. I have no idea how well it worked because the A&I who did the return to service on the airplane took it out, but I did see it written up in some Avid History I have.

1 person likes this

Posted

"Somewhere in between these two extremes lies your CG range" said Cloud Dancer. Right on. Range, not tolerance. So you do agree.

1 person likes this

Posted

"Somewhere in between these two extremes lies your CG range" said Cloud Dancer. Right on. Range, not tolerance. So you do agree.

Since an aircraft does not have much of a tolerance for flying outside the range its getting a bit nit picky don't ya think?  :lol:  Kind of like Alaska bush wheels.. they are a tire not a wheel.. or putting new legs on a plane instead of landing gear... Or one of my favorites.. a hot water heater.. Why the bad word would ya want to heat hot water.  I would prefer mine to heat cold water.  Or having someone come out and "unthaw" the pipes.  Why the hell would you pay someone to freeze your pipes for ya unless your planning on cutting and welding a hot line :dunno: 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I have posted this before, guess I will do it again.  

This came straight from the mouth of the designer when I talked to him (thanks Joey for putting me in contact with Dean).  The aft CG limit that was listed is very conservative.  Dean chose that because the original dream was to have a plane a guy could build then learn to fly.  A nose heavy airplane flies poorly, a tail heavy airplane flies once.. Dean stated they had tested back to 21" but cautioned me to not stall it at anything further back than 20" unless you had full flaps in as the tail would drop and you would not get the nose back down.  I personally like to fly mine at 16-18".  Yes it flies better, gets off the ground faster and actually does land slower.  I can fly at neutral elevator trim instead of full nose up trim if I fly it a more forward CG.  This equates to less drag, more speed, better climb and a much better handling airplane.

You can sit at the keyboard and argue thoughts all day long, but until you actually get out and do it yourself its nothing but hearsay.  I personally HATE the way the plane flys at the forward CG range.  Its a slug compared to the more rearward CG.  I have loaded mine to the point that full nose down trim was not doing the trick anymore and I had to pull in about half flaps to keep the tail up.  Was not the worlds best feeling and I damn sure didn't slow the bird down, but it got the load to the remote island I was heading for and delivered a hell of a load of groceries, beer and sodas. 

Now that's a post that I say makes perfect sense! It's just a matter of applying and understanding the very basics of aircraft design. Model aircraft follow the same rules. Most designers have dabbled with models and many still do. Don Mitchell was a skunk works designer but he started with models. The flapperons on your Avid are nothing new; Don had put them on his Mitchell Wings long before the Avid came around. Don didn't invent the concept either; he got the idea from the German designers that used the upside down wing design for control surfaces in WW2 on some of their designs.

If you want to play with CG and get quick results; try a flying wing. I've got an Easy Riser, a T-10 Mitchell Wing and a B-10 Mitchell Wing. (all flying wings)  I traded my world record holding A-10 Mitchell Wing back to the factory for the T-10 two place. I wanted the extra seat and the factory wanted the altitude record holder airplane. The CG is so sensitive in a flying wing that you can move your head forward and backward and control pitch.

Edited by Cloud Dancer