Avid B Sheriffs Auction on 10/2/18. 10:30am.

55 posts in this topic

Posted

You found my next project..... Darn!  Actually the doors are missing as well.  Kind of interesting is the wings have flaperon hangers like a Kitfox 4.  On a close up of the wing, you can see where the fabric was patched at each rib tail.  No telling if that's a good thing or bad.  N# is expired.  Wonder what the FAA's position on ownership is when bought from a sheriff's sale.   I tried to talk to registrations in OK. and got hung up on after waiting for a half hour.  Wonder if anyone on here is actually interested in this plane.....JImChuk  

Posted

Looks like you would get a free bag of pigeon fertilizer with it. 

Posted

I saw this posting a couple weeks ago. I wonder how much it will bring at the sale.

Posted

Moreover, what's the backstory? "Aircraft was abandoned at our Airport."

Posted

FAA registry shows N417Z as deregistered, with a 'Sale Reported'.  Original Airworthiness was in 1988, deregistration happened in 2013.  The last registered owner was in California, so how it got to Iowa is probably a story.  I wonder if someone bought it as a project, moved it to Iowa, and then never did anything with it?

Mark

Posted

I called the contact number, he wouldn’t give the back story of why it ended up like this. Called a local DAR I met recently and he said it would be possible but he wouldn’t touch it without a substantially documented rebuild.

i too am dang curious as to what it will go for

Posted

FAA registry shows N417Z as deregistered, with a 'Sale Reported'.  Original Airworthiness was in 1988, deregistration happened in 2013.  The last registered owner was in California, so how it got to Iowa is probably a story.  I wonder if someone bought it as a project, moved it to Iowa, and then never did anything with it?

Mark

Mark, my money would be on what you're thinking happened.  Whatever the story is, it's a shame to see it in that shape.  But hey, it's like when I see an old VW Bug, I see possibilities.

Posted

You found my next project..... Darn!  Actually the doors are missing as well.  Kind of interesting is the wings have flaperon hangers like a Kitfox 4.  On a close up of the wing, you can see where the fabric was patched at each rib tail.  No telling if that's a good thing or bad.  N# is expired.  Wonder what the FAA's position on ownership is when bought from a sheriff's sale.   I tried to talk to registrations in OK. and got hung up on after waiting for a half hour.  Wonder if anyone on here is actually interested in this plane.....JImChuk  

Jim, what would you pay for a project in that shape?  I'm thinking it'll go for about $1500, but that's just my guess.

Posted

Too far to go get it for parts.

Posted (edited)

I'll stay out of this topic.  But will keep watching it.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

It is so sad how many of these are out there. So happy I rescued 2 of them from a similar fate and still know of 2 more waiting for their chance. 

Posted

I need some help, maybe a slap in the face. I am in Iowa about 140 miles from Sale of this aircraft. I am not a pilot and always wanted to be. I have very little aircraft mechanical experience, worked on some aircraft when I was in the Commemorative Air force (was not called that when I was a member), not too technical, just helping. I am a refrigeration service tech and work on many commercial systems in groceries stores and buildings. I have been a member of the EAA for a long time (maybe since 1996) and spend the whole week up there taking workshops and attending forums the last few years. I have dreamed about getting a light sport aircraft that was in need of some repair. I really like the Avid and Kitfox both, but this one is a little scary because of the loss of registration with FAA, and other issues from looking at pictures. I am considering taking a day off work and going to the auction and see if it fits my price range, which is not much. I am going to try and go up before auction and inspect is there anything that sticks out that should be looked at. With the cowling and prop missing, I assume there was engine trouble or prop strike. Just dreaming at the moment, but would enjoy a project for a few years. 

Posted

I would HIGHLY suggest that you find someone who knows about these types of aircraft to go look with you.  Not just any pilot, but someone who knows these planes.  Sometimes wanting something bad just means that you get it bad.  There are deals to be had on these airplanes, especially the earlier ones, which this is, you just have to put in the time looking for them.

Posted

This auction is only a few days away.  I'm looking forward to hear results.

Posted

Not on Craigslist anymore or Barnstormers. Maybe this one flew the coop??

Posted

I’m planning on making it to the auction and hopefully put a bid in. I currently own an Airdale and Kitfox 4 and really don’t need another but this addiction is hard to beat lol. I sure hope it’s something I can bid on and put back in the air. It’s only 91miles away from me and it would be the 3rd plane I’ve bought off this airport. I’ll keep ya all posted with what happens! 

26B72B28-F22C-441B-8489-B235316B491F.jpeg

C351705F-B6ED-44EB-8F5C-53CCFE51A0C5.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

:welcome: I remember seeing your KF at OSH last year!

I wish you luck at the auction, would love to see you start a thread in the Airdale forum about that plane someday.

Posted

Many people are planning on going to the auction. one party I know of is from Montana.

Metal from b box, Bungie's broken, puncture holes under the wings, many missing parts, family of mice live there!

Posted

UltraFlight LLC, good luck at the auction.  If you can, post some pictures of that poor bird who's needing love and attention.

Posted

There were 15 guys at the auction that bird sold for $4,900

Posted

You know who got it?

Posted

Greetings, I'm the guy that bought it. I'm located in Manchester, Iowa. I sent a letter off to the previous owner to see if he wanted to sell me the missing parts but so far I've gotten no response so I'm going to either buy or fabricate the missing cowl, doors, prop and tail wheel assembly. I've taken the 582 gray head apart and bought new seals and gaskets etc. Waiting on the new motor mounts to arrive to get the engine back in the airplane. The wiring needs gone through, I've already fixed some of it. Hope to have it flying by late spring if I get the cowling sorted out. The doors are an easy build if I can't find anything reasonable. Probably build the spit door version so I can hang my arm out the window.

I may fly it as a tripod at first and add a tail wheel down the road to fly it as a tail dragger.

1538860549015.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Getting an old one re-registered isn't a big deal, but it is a PITA. You can get a copy of every piece of paperwork ever filed on it from the FAA. I am going thru the same issue. I have the FAA doc's and its now registered in my name. But I am doing a back to new rebuild on my model 2 with a new engine, new logs and basically a new aircraft.  I really paid too much for it, but having a "new" Kitfox model 2 for 15K or so is a good investment considering the price of kits and aircraft now days. I fly generally by myself most of the time, do a little off field flying, and generally run gas thru the engine, so a solid model 2 is a good match for me. I weigh 140 with a full cup of coffee so a 950 gr wt. isn't a big deal. Paying 30-40K for a new "Fox" is!  Another "hillbilly" passing thought.

3 people like this

Posted

Cloud Dancer,  You mention fabricating a new tail wheel assembly.  Just a heads up, if you end up switching to tailwheel, the mains you have now will not work.  The main wheels end up to far rearward.  I know of someone who did that and the first time they revved up the engine, the plane went over on it's nose and destroyed the prop.  When you get a chance, please post up some good pictures of the flaperon hangers.  I know someone put aluminum brackets on the wings, like the Kitfox 4 and later have, and I would be curious to see close up what they look like.   JImChuk

1 person likes this