So now I have a magnum to assemble

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all got my magnum in May. No progress yet, just a few more items around the house then it’s plane time .

planing wider gear,and O-320 for 170 hp, anyone know if a perticular model of O-320 works better or worse on the magnum? Mine have a dynafocal motor Mount , as soon as I figure how to insert pics I will 

thx rjg 

1 person likes this

Posted

85AA5081-A260-41C6-BFFD-04A0810E627A.jpeg

F446C269-CFE1-4064-98B0-E317AA7BF387.jpeg

70456A31-FD59-49E1-AC1C-0815260F4F1D.png

3E4308AB-DCC3-48BF-AB4F-F755BA5DD770.jpeg

2 people like this

Posted

SaWeeeet,  Looking forward to following the build and your initial flights.  

Please Keep the group posted on your progress.  : )

Good Luck.

My Magnum, photos attached.  Lycoming 0320 (160 hp)

Starting my PPL lessons on Monday.  Looking so forward to learning to fly this beautiful bird.

1994 Yellow Magnum (1).jpg

1994 Yellow Magnum (2).jpg

20170819_124445.jpg

20170820_182831.jpg

20170820_183040.jpg

20170910_121846.jpg

20170910_121857.jpg

20170910_140640.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Brian nice looking Magnum! The performance will amaze you.

Your Magnum has the baggage door on the passenger side??? Mine is on the pilot side. That seems totally weird to me. Why would they change that of all things? Is yours an early or later Magnum? What is the gross weight? Mine is later S/N and 1750 gross. Is it possible your photo images are inverted?

RJ I will be starting my Magnum rebuild thread soon too! You will be building. I will be re-building. If the Fat Avid was any indication, rebuilding takes longer than building!

My Magnum also has dynafocal. Very smooth. 

Posted

Thanks, really looking forward to learning to fly.  Yes, the baggage door is on the passenger side, not sure why.  Your words echo others who have told me the performance should be really good.

My Magnum is S/N 04.  Avid had two Magnum factory demonstrators, one was blue and silver tail drager and a yellow and blue one ... mine.

My magnum was built by a professional builder for Avid (can't remember his name, I'll have to look at the documentation).  Apparently, it was built in a tricycle confirguration so Avid could show case that option to potential buyers.  It also has 38 gallon fuel capacity.  Two 14 gallon inboard fuel tanks and two 5 gallon wingtip tanks.  The elderly gentleman that I bought my plane from said he only once ever filled the wing tip tanks.  He also said that it was "a fun plane to fly and the performance was spectacular". 

Before I brought it up to Canada it was in Arizona.

Specs as listed on the documentation that came with the plane.

empty = 950 lbs

gross = 1750 lbs

lycoming 0320 160 hp

My long term plan is to put it on amphibious floats for summer and eventually convert it to a tail drager and put it on skis for winter flying.

About a month ago I was talking to a gentleman in southern Ontario, who was selling his Magnum.  He said he actually test flew both of the factory Avid demonstrators before deciding to buy a kit backin the early 1980's.   The blue one had a slightly smaller hp engine.   Can't remember exactly which engine but he did say he could notice the performance difference with the more powerful 160 hp engine.

Again, please keep us all posted on your progress.

Best regards

Brian

2 people like this

Posted

Welcome to the club!!