Sabaru vs Rotax 912 UL

28 posts in this topic

Posted

Hirth motors have changed since Matt Dandar took over the US distributor. Of course they all say that about any engine.  Hirth is getting its act together since they are going to be the major player in the two stroke game.  The Rotax 582 will eventually go away( its slated to be discontinued in the future) so that leaves Hirth and a few others.  Andy at Heavenbound Aviation.com offers a good extended warranty since he is a dealer  for the east coast. The big advantage of Rotax was there was gobs of information out there about how to set them up and how to operate them properly. Hirth hasn't had that public awareness yet. Several kit suppliers are now switching to Hirth as the go to engine for their kits since Rotax is getting out of the two stroke market and investing in the 912 series. A lot of Rotaxes were murdered because the owners didn't know how to operate or maintain them. Since they were the popular engine and everybody was using them, Hirth got a bad rap in the beginning and as we know, a bad reputation is very hard to live down. Most all 2 strokes fail not due to the engine, but set-up and operation wasn't done properly.Spend a little time learning about your engine (whatever engine that is) will go a long way towards a happy flying career.

2 people like this

Posted

Matt Dandar is a nice guy until you get on his bad side and will help anyway he can. Andy at heavenbound aviation, one of his dealers is a super guy and knows his Hirth engines, he also has one on his challenger, and believes in them.  They have fuel injection as an option but if you learn to tune carbs, they are better, I think. My flying buddy has one on his challenger with fuel injection. It is altitude compensating but requires battery power to run the computer, with carbs the engine is self-powering and doesn't rely on external power(battery) to keep chugging along so I like carbs. If you take off low and fly high then fuel injection is a good thing.  Me, I drag the tires thru the trees most of the time and that is what my mission is, so for me carbs are better. And a little off topic, but I found a neat 5 gal header tank which would give me 16 gal. I don't like the two plastic tanks in one wing due to the cross feed method so one in each wing and a 5 gal header tank will work fine for my flying.