Putting speedwing on Mod C STOL

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi.

I might be able to get hold of a set of damaged speedwings. They did a forced landing and wrecked one flapperon and its hanger rib ends. The other wing seems to be ok. The struts are broken. I have a Mod C 582 STOL with underchampher wing. What do I need to do for adapting the speedwing on my fuselage? Are the struts similar? Is it possible to buy new "rib hangers" and flaperons? Is it worth it? I might get the wing for free. It would be nice to be able to mount the speedwings for traveling and use the STOL for bush flying.Two airplanes in one. 

Posted

Which flaperon do you need.  I may know of where one is that would be useable.  JImChuk

Posted

O I forgot to say, I live in Sweden. I am still learning about the Avids. I don`t even know how to tell if its a Speedwing or an Aerobatic Speedwing. The flaperons may be repairable, or I need to build/buy some new. I guess its not the same flaperons on speedwing as on the STOL wing?

Posted

Speed wing has ribs spaced at 18" on center, Aerobat ribs are 12" on center.  Speedwing flaperons are 3' shorter than STOL flaperons.  JImChuk

Posted

Ok I see. What about the struts,  are they the same? 

Posted

I'm guessing the Aerobat used the larger diameter lift struts like the MK IV did.  JImChuk

Posted

I just bought a crashed Speedwing (or an Aerobat?). The fuselage is really wrecked and probably not be repaired. The stabilizer and elevator is undamaged. Left wing is almost ok and right wing is badly damaged. The pilot did a forced landing and broke the landing gear.. anyway. The Matco brakes and wheels and weelpants are ok. The flaperon mixer is nice. The aircraft has probably only about 50 flight hours. I want to repair the wings and use them them on my Avid mode C STOL. So I have some questions. 

Is this Speedwings or aerobat wings? The spar walls are 0.083", not 0.065". 

The wing strut attachment on the spars is more hidden on this wing than on my STOL wing, is this normal or are the spars bent? 

Is there any difference between the STOL fuselage and Aerobat fuselage? 

Should I save anything from the fuselage or not?

The flaperons axle is bent, is it possible to only replace the axle inside the flaperons?

Is it possible to buy new parts?

Is there anything else I should take care of before I put the Speedwings on my C model and take off (other than get to a long runway)? 

20180909_182125.jpg

20180909_182131.jpg

20180909_182147.jpg

20180909_182219.jpg

20180909_182227.jpg

20180909_182235.jpg

20180909_191743.jpg

20180909_191754.jpg

20180909_191803.jpg

20180909_191813.jpg

20180909_191823.jpg

20180909_192338.jpg

20180909_192354.jpg

20180909_192413.jpg

20180909_192437.jpg

Posted

I believe the aerobat has the ribs on 12" centers.  Speed wing is on 18" centers.  The heavier walled spars were used on the Aerobat.  There are people who would probably be happy to trade your stol wings for their speedwings or Aerobat wings.  Most people want the longer wings.  Looking at that fuselage, I don't think it's beyond repair.  Where are you located?  With the number on the wing, I would guess you're not in the USA.  JImChuk

Posted

Just so happens I have a right speed wing with fuel tank, all it needs is cover , $1500, no flapper on, come get it in North Carolina .two 5 two,923 51for 5

Posted

I live in Sweden.  I payed 2000 sek (200 USD) for everything. I would like to be able to switch between speed and STOL depending on what I need and feel. I will measure the rib distance. Hope someone more could answer my questions. 

The wing strut attachment on the spars is more hidden on this wing than on my STOL wing, is this normal or are the spars bent? 

The flaperons axle is bent, is it possible to only replace the axle inside the flaperons?

Is there anything else I should take care of before I put the Speedwings on my C model and take off (other than get to a long runway)? 

Posted

Can you just look down the inside of the spar tube?  If it does an S curve by the strut attachment then its bent.

Posted (edited)

I think I answered your first question shown above.  If it has ribs on 18' centers, it's a speed wing.  Aerobat is 12"   (just looked at your wing picture, and count 10 ribs.  that means it's an Aerobat wing.)

I don't believe there is any difference between the Stol, and Aerobat fuselage, although as the models went along, they were made stronger in various areas for increased gross weight.

I told you I thought the fuselage could be rebuilt.  

Not sure if you can get the flaperon axels out, the foam ribs inside are glued to it I believe.  You may be able to straighten it, perhaps put a piece of smaller tube inside it as well.

Hard to find new parts, but most anything on these planes can be built by a skilled craftsman.  

I've never flown a speedwing, so can't comment on that, at least not first hand.     JImChuk

PS.  just looked some more at the bent up fuselage and I believe it is a MK IV, and I still think it could be rebuilt.  You could drop it off in my yard any time.... :-)  

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Thanks Tjay and 1avidflyer!  I really appreciate your help!  

I have rebuilt one aircraft before and I am building one wooden aircraft now. But I have never worked with steel tube fuselage.  Were do I find instructions or methods on how to repair the fuselage?  

It does look like an mix between MK IV and Mod C. The rudder is not curved like MK IV.  

I will tear of the fabric on the wings this winter and try to repair them. I have a lot if aircraft grade plywood.

Posted

Can see Avid Wing Technical Differences >>> HERE

Posted

Hej Anders!

just out of curiosity, is there a stall speed limit for ultra lights in Sweden? Here in France, where I live and fly even if I Swedish, the Avid with speed wing cannot be registred as ultralight due to the higher stall speed. Othewise the idea of having both sets of wings is interesting and could save some time on longer flights.

Vänlig hälsning,

Fred(rik)

Posted

Bonjour Fredrik! 

Actually there is one speedwing that has been registered as an ultralight in Sweden.  But because the stall speed is high I would probably have to make it an experimental if I want to register it. If I want to register the speedwing ;-) 

Posted

What do you guys think about straightening the wing struts? Could I bend it cold? Its bent about 15 degrees. 

Posted

Some tubing bends can be straightened safely, others no. I suggest you download a copy of FAA AC43.13, it has guidelines for acceptable tubing repairs. Everyone building or repairing an E-AB should have a copy handy to refer to.

Posted

Yes I have the AC43.13, digital and analoge. I will take a look,

Posted

hi, i believe the struts of your stol can be on the speed, the geometry is the same. then they will carry the same weight in normal flight, the weight of your plane is almost same with short or long wings

1 person likes this

Posted

That sounds great! Yes as long as I do normal flying, it should be safe.