AVGAS vs MOGAS

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Is there any issue mixing AVGAS and MOGAS?  If you're flying cross country on MOGAS, and your fuel stop only has AVGAS, will you have any issues mixing the two?  Will your GPH, your cruise speed, engine temps, or anything else change?  I know the $$$ in your wallet will change, but I'm concerned about aircraft performance.

Posted

I've done it many times with no ill effects. Rotax's hate Avgas. Fuel is fuel....it'll burn it regardless. Your octane rating is unknown at that point but it'll be above the min and that's all that matters.

2 people like this

Posted

That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to hear from those who do it all the time.  Thanks.

Posted

I have a hangar neighbor who runs mix all the time in his Champ.  25-75% av to auto.  Runs great and lots less lead to cake things up in the C85.

2 people like this

Posted

Run it harder with avgas to reduce lead deposit formations.

Posted

I run a mix of avgas and mogas . Never had a problem

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it.

Posted

I used to run nothing but 100LL in a 914 Europa. Used TCP and always ran it hard (5,300/5,500) in cruise. It never had lead fouling but the side of the plane would turn gray past the exhaust.

1 person likes this

Posted

The reason for my question is that I'm looking at a KF 5 with a Subaru engine, and not all airports have MOGAS.  So, I just wanted to make sure switching between MOGAS and AVGAS, and mixing the two cause no problems with the engine.  You guys are awesome.  Thanks.

Posted

When I fly from SoCal to Idaho each year I mix 10 gallons of mogas 91 octane with 18 gallons of avgas.

There is no problem with the mix, but you can't leave mogas with ethanol in the tank for long duration because the ethanol softens the fiberglass resin of the glass tanks in the Avid Flyer Aircraft.

The mogas/avgas mix is usually used up on the first half of the 1000 mile trip.

Mogas with ethanol gives less range than avgas.

John M

Posted

Thanks for the info John.  Our trips will opposite to yours, Idaho to Bakersfield a few times a year.

Posted

Bartman

We fly to Idaho for the beautiful scenery and to be around pilots who like to fly to remote strips.

We fly over Bakersfield on our way and I wonder what the attraction to Bakersfield would be for someone who lives in Gods Country?

John M

Posted

Bartman

We fly to Idaho for the beautiful scenery and to be around pilots who like to fly to remote strips.

We fly over Bakersfield on our way and I wonder what the attraction to Bakersfield would be for someone who lives in Gods Country?

John M

John,

That's simple, so we can see our grandkids.  I have a son who lives on the Central Coast, so we stop over there as well.  Flying will just make it easier to visit more often.

1 person likes this

Posted

Only Grandkids would force me to fly to Bakersfield area when living in Idaho. So I understand.

John M

Posted

Only Grandkids would force me to fly to Bakersfield area when living in Idaho. So I understand.

John M

Believe me, I feel the exact same way.