Buying and towing a KF1

32 posts in this topic

Posted

I think you will be surprised at what you can actually carry in the plane.  Congrats on the bird.  How long since it was last flown or the engine re-sealed?

Posted

I think you will be surprised at what you can actually carry in the plane.  Congrats on the bird.  How long since it was last flown or the engine re-sealed?

The last condition inspection was July and i think i saw in the log books that it was test flown after that.  So fairly recently. Not sure on the engine seals though. 

Posted (edited)

As far as ideas for weight reduction what about the sling seat vs fiberglass and upholstery? 

Here's the website the seller put up on the plane so you can see a few more pics: http://n75hh.s3-website.us-east-2.amazonaws.com

As you can see the radio is a dinosaur.  I have a Becker radio that i think came outof a glider that I'm going to use in another plane I'm building but it's years away from completion so mean time it can be useful in the KF.

Also realized the G5 might have a compass so i can pull the one on top of the dash out as well. I know that kitfoxes have a rep for good performance but density altitude around here can go to 7000 during the summer so every bit helps.

Edited by Willja67

Posted

Its time for some performance mods to the plane.  These are absolutely 100% guaranteed to add 200 fpm to the climb rate and 10 kts to the cruise speed:

STICKERS!!!! I can already tell it flies better just by looking at it.  In all seriousness it needed a little color and I had to personalize it just a little.

20180905_205944.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Very nice!  Did you make them, or did they come from Kitfox?  JImChuk

Posted

Very nice!  Did you make them, or did they come from Kitfox?  JImChuk

No, they're homemade. I opened a pic of the kitfox logo in one window then sketched it in a graphics program and simplified it a little and shortened the tail then took it to a print shop and had a few copies made then used some spray adhesive and glued the prints to some vinyl i had left over from my truck, cut out the pieces then used the spray adhesive again and used a mirror image print and stuck all the pieces in place on it then preeled the backing off and stuck it on the side of the plane. Then peeled off all the paper and scrubbed the spray adhesive off. 

2 people like this

Posted

Ok I'm beginning to think the guy who sold me the plane totally snowed me about all the service bulletins being complied with.  So far not a single one that I've looked up has been. Right now the one I'm wondering about is the plastic spinner on the prop. Given that we're about 2 decades after the issuance of that bulletin I'm wondering, are those props and aluminum spinners even being made anymore?