Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Jabiru Engines

10 posts in this topic

Posted

If anyone is considering installing the Jabiru engine on an Avid Flyer you can ask me any questions you may have.

I have over 2000 hours behind one.

John M

1 person likes this

Posted

If anyone is considering installing the Jabiru engine on an Avid Flyer you can ask me any questions you may have.

John M

great topic

how often do you change oil?

what oil do you use?

how often do you set the tappets?

I'm asking because i did my first oil change today at 20hrs. No signs of metal in the filter. Checked valves all were good yet and re torqued the heads. None of the head bolts were loose. Aeroshell w-100

Posted (edited)

I change oil (PHILLIPS 20/50) every 30 hours and filter (FRAM 4967) at each oil change.

The oil is sent into Blackstone Labs every other changs for analysis.

I have hydraulic lifters so no adjustments needed.

Engine was top overhauled at 1195 hours due to #4 exhaust valve seat displacement which causes the piston to hit the valve causing damage.

The new pistons have an inset in the top of them to prevent this from happening again.

John M

Edited by skypics
2 people like this

Posted

is there a forum for these engines yet?

Posted

The Yahoo forum is JabCamit engines.

The early years in my Avid B was with the Rotax 532. Then the 582. And finally the Jabiru 2200.

The full up Jab weight was the same as the 582 which had two water coolers to keep it cool plus 1 gallon of water.  Also, the Rotax muffler is very heavy whereas the Jab muffler is stainless and lighter.

Full up weight is 135 pounds.

Posted

John M

Hi John

I would love to talk to you about the Jabiru, especially if you have experience with the early Hydrolic lifter engines. I am dealing on one and it seams like a pretty good deal but with all the bad publicity I just want to do my home work. 

Kent

Posted

Kent I would steer away from that engine they had the wrong cam and the wrong lifters. I have an early 3300 with solid lifters and like it.  The newer series are good just not the early hyd lifters engines.  The solid lifters are good also   Keep looking you will find one of the good ones.

Posted

Haven't visited this forum in a while.

As an update on the Jabiru engine.

The North American distributor sold the business to the same company that makes the Arion aircraft and uses the Jabiru exclusively.

They are up to generation 4 now with changes to make this simple negine even better . Like roller cam lifters and oil feed to the rocker box through the push rods amoung other things.

For those considering buying a used Jabiru there is a form you can look at at jabiru to see what changes wer made as they went from generatoion 1 to generation 4.

I have over 3000 hours behind Jabirus and find it has been a good investment and the 85 HP lets my Avid MK 4 climb at 1000-1300 FPM and cruise at 95 TAS turning a 66" Whirlwind prop.

John M

1 person likes this

Posted

I am retiring my Jabiru 2200 Gen 2 engine.

I was having engine stuttering issues and discovered the number 1 exhaust hyd lifter had been sticking and this caused wear on the cam lobe. 

I installed a new lifter and valve and BEHOLD the engine is running better than it has in the last 100 hours. There is more power, therefore, more RPM on the climb out.

I have ordered a new Gen 4 engine and should have it in 3-4 weeks. In the meantime, I will continue flying my Gen 2 engine until the engine arrives.

I will take the engine mount off of the Avid MK4 and have a welder raise the rear top engine mounts 15mm to accommodate the new engine mount dimensions.

I'm sure many on this forum will be interested in hearing about my first hours on this engine and I will post updates.

This engine should take me to the end of my flying days.

John M

Posted

I have been notified that my Gen 4 2200 Jabiru engine is almost ready to ship from Aussie Land.

Decided to buy a new mount that fits the new jab mounts for my Avid Flyer.

The mount is $895 and the UPS shipping will be another $190. Costs are slowly mounting for this engine change.

I suspect the top mounts of the mounting plate on the back of the engine were moved 15 mm up to clear the larger jugs.

I was hoping to get the engine installed and tested for at least 5 hours before flying to the Idaho backcountry strips in mid-June. May not make it.

So $14,900 for the engine. $895 for the mount and $190 for mount shipping and most likely $200 for truck shipment of the engine. $16,185. OUCH!