Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

582 rotax thermostat

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Don't feel like getting robbed by Rotax on a thermostat for a 582, and remember someone said one for an outboard boat motor fit.  I couldn't find the part #.  I did see that Bryce said he bought one from NAPA.  Do you know the # of the one you got Bryce?  Or anyone else for that matter?  Thanks,  JImChuk

Posted

I thought the early 582 never ran a thermostat. If I have one I'm probably going to pull it . In Florida I don't really need it anyway, plus I always have to fly my speedwing to the ground anyway. Power off it drops like a rock .

Posted

Probably don't have much need for it in Florida.  In cooler temps though, you can end up with a cold seizure if water temps are to cold.  I did some more searching and found some using NAPA # 18-3558, and OMC 982554.  That is for a 160 degree F thermostat.  I see in the Rotax parts, they say 55 degree which is a Celsius #, and that equals 131 degrees F.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Jim,

That is the one I use.  Just have to drill a hole in it for the bypass water.

Even at warmer temps not having a thermostat can allow the water to circulate too fast and not let the radiator have time to cool the water properly.  Hence some racers use restriction washers in the system instead of thermostats. 

:BC:

2 people like this