Picture of your pedals

20 posts in this topic

Posted

So this new avid I think the builder built around these beachcraft pedals and modded the left pedals...can someone send me a picture of your pedal setup?

Posted

Here’s mine. These are both modified and not stock. The stock set up had horrible geometry. 

74CE1D09-2157-4B0F-9A43-1E818D822B80.jpeg

A6543484-B7B1-45E3-B5BA-D2B659FB0F25.jpeg

Posted

Did you just make those out of steel?

Posted

Not the best picture, but here is a stock MK IV setup.  JImChuk

Photo0612.jpg

Posted

Yea this builder made the left side pedals shorter in order to use beachcraft pedals. I’ll put out a request for some stock ones 

Posted

I think if you had a set of cable brake rudder pedals, all you would have to do is weld the tabs on that the cylinders bolt to and you would be good to go.  Bob Macaa has a set of B model ones, and I have a set of A model ones. They probably are identical.  One other thing to remember if you are going to weld on the rudder pedals, reinforce the area where the verticle tube meets the cross tube on the pedals, and also beef up the rudder cable arm where it attaches to the verticle tube.  Those are weak points.  I think if you look close at the pictures you will see some straps wrapping around the crosstube and going up the verticle tubes.  That is not original, at least not on the early rudder pedals.   JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Yes. Typical poor geometry and poor braking.

I'll take photos of my pedals next time I'm at the airport.

The lever to the brake activator comes off the pivot point of the pedal. Much lower and shorter.

John M

Posted

Here are some pics  of pedals in my plane and on a test stand. You will see a few avids flying and using this design. Effective and easy to install but not easy to build .post-136-13067163462724_thumb.jpgpost-136-13284644995929_thumb.jpgIMG-20180609-00255.thumb.jpg.30521f7f4a0

Posted

Yea this builder made the left side pedals shorter in order to use beachcraft pedals. I’ll put out a request for some stock ones 

You don't want stock ones, they have very ineffective braking due to poor geometry.

Here are the stock ones:

IMAG0003.jpg

Posted

And here are how I remade them to work much better:

brakepedals_small_with_ratio.jpg

Posted

You guys just using mild steel to fab these parts?

Posted

No, mine are 4130  like most of the plane's steel. I made them out of a flat sheet  except for the connecting tube. I  bent them to the shape then added some plates for better foot traction.  It isn't clear in my pictures, but I designed them so the strength of the pedals, particularly the connection to the brake cylinders, is not dependent on my welding ability, which is nothing to brag about.

Mark

Posted

Here is mine I am very happy. Notice how close my master cylinder is to the pedal that doubled my brake pressure.

0714181350.jpg

Posted

The tubing is 4130 the lathe machined steel is 1018 cold rolled. The bushings are aluminum. 

Posted

Started from scratch.  The complete Avid/early Kitfox design is crap IMO.

post-36-1358478860371.jpg

post-36-13584788659981.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Here are photos of the brake pedals I have on my Avid MK4.

Hard to see, but the arm from the pedal to the hydraulic activator goes from the pivot point on the pedal.

John M

Opps! Can't seem to load the photos. So what do I need to do to load the photos?

Posted

I'm pretty sure mine are stock but they work great . I can hold at full power and my wheels skid

1535994243812742615806.jpg

Posted

Jeepers, I can't do my mag check at 4krpm, the brakes are so weak.  Stock setup, and dry disks.  Probably a good thing in my case, though, as it keeps me out of trouble!

JimChuk - Great panel layout!  Is that an MGL FLT-2 in center?

Posted

That is an MGL E-1 engine monitor.  Does just about everything for engine instruments.  JImChuk

Posted

Double brakes on MK4

John M

20181114_123359.jpg