Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Special instruments

5 posts in this topic

Posted

A few years back I was reading a magazine and saw a device you put on the glare shield and it showed you where other airplanes are. Does anybody know what this is? Would that be similar to Having ADS-B?

Posted

I think its FLARM, a device developed by a Swiss company for the gliders (as in mountain area such as the southern Alps in France there is a great density of gliders near the ridges, and a high risk of midair collision)

This system is collaborative,in  that is every device broadcasts constantly its GPS position and the software computes continuously the risk of collision with nearby equipped aircraft.

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLARM

Posted

There was a company that had a device that strictly relied on transponders - Zaxon or Zarron, can't remember exactly.  I believe they are out of business though.

Mark

Posted

There are several ADSB in only units out there that will show traffic and weather. It will not show where you are and does not comply with the 2020 ADSB mandate.

I have the Uavionix ADSB in/out installed on my MK4 and can get all my target info using IFLY GPS on my phone or tablet.

This unit weighs ounces and is installed in 30 minutes and the one for experimental costs about $1400. 

I am a midair survivor and would not fly without it.

John M