Easy Seat Removal

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

If any of you still find you have to unlace the sling seat like undoing an old-fashioned corset, I can show you a method I use that lets me pull the seat in seconds.

I changed to this method on my Model B and now on my MK4 and never looked back.

Trouble is, I don't know how to download a photo on this site.

John M

Edited by skypics

Posted

Drum roll...

:P

Posted (edited)

John right below this box you are typing in click where it says “click to choose files” go to wherever the pic is saved on your PC or device and select it and your done. 

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

:snack:

Posted

lace it onto a bar with hooks so you just have to hang it on the seat bars??

1 person likes this

Posted

Pure genius 

Posted

i was still waiting skypics for this new method

Posted

John, let me guess... You added a frame on hinges?

Posted

AKflyer has mentioned the method.

Now I will find the photo and post it.

Oppps! still won't let me attach a photo.

I click on "insert other media" and it gives a choice of A) insert existing media to which it says "The page you are trying is not available to your account."

The other option B) is to insert a URL which won't work.

I'll try to describe it. get two lengths of square aluminum bar stock about 1/2 " each side. Buy 8 1/4" thickness hooks with the threads for nuts you will tighten.

You will make one for the seat carry through structure and for the structure that the seat hangs from.

Drill the holes for the hooks. Four for each bar.

Then with the hooks over the carry throughs, tighten the nuts to the proper distance and then lace the seat to the square aluminum bar. This is the last time you will have to lace the seat.

A picture is definitely worth a thousand words.

If you would like a photo, contact me at skypics234 at aol dot com.

John M

John M

Posted

John, you should just be able to drag and drop pics into the box your typing in..

Posted

Seat Modification photos

Looks like I found the way to attach photos. Now give me time to find the seat mod photo. They are archived...somewhere.

20180301_095543.jpg

Posted

Really Nice plane John, anything you missed from the other plane? now you should paint it white and blue like the working horse you had before, :-)

Med venlig hilsen

Dimi3

Posted (edited)

Seat Mod Photos... This was on my model B. I have it on my MK4 now.

20140212_154355.thumb.jpg.909416f8228744

20140212_154338.jpg

Edited by skypics
Photo correction
2 people like this

Posted

I did something similar on my MK IV.  Except where you have the hooks, I tied with a double wrap of 3/16 or 1/4" nylon rope.  Not quite as quick as yours, but at least not having to wind the cord though all those grommets is a plus.  Besides that, I have reinforced my seat truss with .040" plate, and don't have as open a seat truss.  JImChuk

Posted

I wish taking out the fiberglass pan was that easy. The ton of zip ties holding it on is crazy. I might have to come up with a quick release for that now.

Posted

I liked the blue and white color of m model B, but this one has a nice marron interior and it would not match the blue and white.

I do like getting rid of the bungies with the bush gear which is also 10" wider for better ground stability.

I also like the fact that the MK4 is stress much better. The Vne of the B was 91 mph and the gross was 911 pounds. The MK4 Vne is 135 MPH and the gross is 1150 pounds.

The wing not only has thicker spars but more false ribs and cruises faster. I like the 66" Whirlwind prop. It is quiet, as reported by ground observers and pulls very well.

However, I had a wood prop on my B model that performed very well. The thing I like about wooden props is as they are loaded they automatically relieve a bit of pitch and then when in cruise the pitch returns. Hard to believe? Put your protractor on the wood blade and note the degrees. Now pull the blade forward as if it is pulling a load. You will see the pitch change. Another feature of a wood prop is that if you do get a prop strike the prop may break before you tweak the crank or flange.

In fact when I totaled the model B on a difficult Sierra strip the prop broke and the engine was not affected. 

All in all a great aircraft and I'm glad that it may come back to life making it easier to get parts and helping hold the value of the Avids.

John M

Posted

I have a model B, and all what I can say is that Avid is a pretty little airplane, only complain I will make is that leg room is a problem, I`m 180cm tall and have problems with the pedals and placing my feet correctly, one time I did a ground loop without impacting anything simply because while applying brakes on a my short strip the tip of my right toe(shoe) got caught in the framework and I though I was braking but I wasn´t so I did a left hand ground loop.-

I´m hesitant to go for the bush gear because it´s taller and I recon it will take less to bend the legs;

are you going to install all the mods you had in the B model? such wingtip vortex, etc, etc, etc??

regards

Dimi3

Posted

Wolves:

I appreciate the extra legroom of my MK4 as opposed to my Model B.

I placed an aluminum over plate above my rudder peddals to prevent me from getting my toe cought under the frame work on y MK4.

John M