Battery trouble

8 posts in this topic

Posted

After finishing the rib tail repair I pulled the plane outside to run it. The battery did not have enough juice to turn it over. The battery was on a good trickle charger all week because the last couple of times I went to use it it was almost dead.  I pulled the battery and it was toast. Ran down to the local Batteries Plus store and picked up a new Odyssey PC545. Saved 3 pounds over the old battery. I had to mod the battery box because the new battery was shorter. It’s all ready to install. Hope to test fly this thing this weekend FINALLY!!!

5390600F-9C7B-4F9B-AAA0-1F8B5CD9531B.jpeg

12DD9A9A-B6A1-48B8-A8A5-E8AB106F4790.jpeg

Posted

I removed the Odyssey battery and installed an EarthX saving 13 pounds.

More expensive, but worth it.

John M

2 people like this

Posted

John M

The extra $250 plus the need for a different charger was not in the budget at this time. Pretty impressive though....

1 person likes this

Posted

After the hoopla BS on here from EarthX (who became a member to dispute a post) I swore off them.. but a buddy gave me one and I ended up trying it in the plane.  So far so good.  Earth X said they were not the right ones for 2 strokes, yet it comes up on their website as the correct battery for a Bearcat 570 (a 2 stroke) so I put it in the plane. 

It is VERY hard to beat an odyessy,  I had one in my bird from day one and had 100% awesome service from it till I left the master on last winter and it completely drained and froze.

:BC:

Posted

After the hoopla BS on here from EarthX (who became a member to dispute a post) I swore off them.. but a buddy gave me one and I ended up trying it in the plane.  So far so good.  Earth X said they were not the right ones for 2 strokes, yet it comes up on their website as the correct battery for a Bearcat 570 (a 2 stroke) so I put it in the plane. 

It is VERY hard to beat an odyessy,  I had one in my bird from day one and had 100% awesome service from it till I left the master on last winter and it completely drained and froze.

Lol, Yes that will kill any good battery. I'm happy with the 3 pounds I saved over the old standard battery. Maybe an earthx will be in my future. Still putting kids through school. 

2 people like this

Posted

Lol, Yes that will kill any good battery. I'm happy with the 3 pounds I saved over the old standard battery. Maybe an earthx will be in my future. Still putting kids through school. 

I wouldn't have spent the $ on the battery.  It was given to me for grooming a buddies runway with my sled and groomer.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

John M

John,

When occasions arise that the battery has drained a bit, how many amperes is it initially charging at and how long before it is under 10 amperes? I'm concerned about earlier Jabiru charging limitations. Which model EarthX are you running? Guessing your Jab has the newer charging system.

Edited by marcusofcotton

Posted

The charger for the EarthX is the Battery Tender Jr and only cost $29.

John M