Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rivets

9 posts in this topic

Posted

More questions. Manual says use SS43FS and  AA44F rivets on the trim tab. Spruce doesn't list either one. Are there replacement numbers? What are you guys using?

Posted

I went with 1/8 stainless. Probably not the right one but it's worked for 4 years and no issues

Posted

May be wrong but I thought the first number after the material code (i.e., SS=Stainless Steel) indicates the diameter of rivet in 32nds of an inch (i.e., 4=4/32" or 1/8") and 2nd number indicates the length of the rivet in 1/16ths of an inch (ie., 3=3/16").

Therefore, SS43FS would be a 1/8"D x 3/16"L Stainless Steel rivet. Not sure if FS refers to head type, but I suspect using a standard round or universal head (vs. flush, sunk or pan) is recommended for this application.

2 people like this

Posted

Didn't know there was a code for blind rivets. Thanks. So AA44F would probably be aluminum 1/8" x 1/4"?

Posted

Didn't know there was a code for blind rivets. Thanks. So AA44F would probably be aluminum 1/8" x 1/4"?

AA means aluminum rivet aluminum stem.  An AS would be Aluminum rivet Steel head and stem.

1 person likes this

Posted

Ohh, didn't know that. Nice add.

1 person likes this

Posted

Reading up on the Cherry page in the Spruce catalog. The second number is not the length of the rivet. It's the maximum grip length. Thanks for the assistance everybody.

Posted

Reading up on the Cherry page in the Spruce catalog. The second number is not the length of the rivet. It's the maximum grip length. Thanks for the assistance everybody.

Thanks for posting that rather important clarification!