Hanging Luggage Bag for Avids

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone remember the name and contact info for the guy who used to make the cargo bag that hangs behind the pilot? I still have mine, but I want to get another to match the color scheme on my MK4.

John M

Posted

C5engineer gave me the info but I completely forgot where I put it . He can tell you.

Posted

from an old Chopndrag post:

Joey had a cargo bag made that's awesome. I plan on getting one soon. Here is the company info . Just say you want a Avid cargo bag that goes behind the seat.

Nate Fisher
Fisher's Upholstery
661 E. Beacon Light Rd.
Eagle, ID 83616
(208) 939-6513 11am-7pm MST
1 person likes this

Posted

I new it was a name that started with an F . Wow I can feel the old age catching up to me

Posted

nlappos

Thanks for the info on the Avid cargo bag.

John M

Posted (edited)

Some ideas in regards to cargo bags... It is not that hard to do yourself, or ask whoever has the sewing machine to help you. I made a hanging bag behind the seats. It has 2 aluminum tube frames. The top frame can be separate in 2 "U" shapes so it can be easily removed when folding the wings.

image.thumb.jpeg.2f324367d54a6aacec326dd

The lower frame hold a stiff bottom plate.

image.thumb.jpeg.b75cfe930f368ce4626b419

The fabric is folded over the frame and attached with Velcro. The bag is then attached to the existing tubes with some tent clips I found on Amazon... https://www.amazon.fr/MagiDeal-10pcs-Crochet-Plastique-10mm-13mm/dp/B019C3WKHQ/ref=cm_wl_huc_item (the link is to the French Amazon as I, after just a short search, could not find them on .com) there are 2 size, one fit the smaller tubes and the other the bigger tubes...

image.thumb.jpeg.44160376ba9011cf2365518

The 'behind the head bag" clips to the tubes with the same kind of tent clips and can easily be detached and carried around as I made a handle on the rear side.

image.thumb.jpeg.06900b4fa01c35f34c5e692

The leather details are just for fun and requires a rather solid sewing machine. I happen to have an old Singer with a hand crank, but without the leather trimmings the rest could be done on and machine.
I started by doing a prop of paper and adhesive tape and then used the parts as a pattern. 

image.jpeg

Edited by FredStork
8 people like this

Posted

John I’m rocking your old red bag and the bag behind my head in my B model and the MK4. Plenty of space in both for trips now.

Posted

Does anyone have pictures of Nate's bag? What does he charge for them?

Posted

That are about $145 I think. Very well made. 

4E778A2E-F9A0-4759-9638-20ED2CC08481.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

I have the bag from Fischer and it has served well for years.  My B model Avid was blue and so the bag is blue. I will call to see if he has maroon to match the paint scheme on my MK4.

John M

Posted

C%5engineer:

R U referring to the red hanging bad I provided to Joey?

I had great use of that bag on my B model. When I totaled the B I pulled all the useful parts and sold the B to a guy at Whitman field here in SoCal. He was goinf to fix it and sell it. Don't know if that happened.

The red hanging bag gave more room than the standard baggage compartment on my MK4.

John M