Mountain Avid finally Flys

55 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Yesterday was the big day. It was time to see if it actually flys after several modifications and going through the Inspection process. Despite a couple of recent set backs with my Flight Reciew and a broken aileron hanger everything was ready. Rain came and took the heavy smoke out of the area. 

The first flight lasted about 30 mins. I came back and made a needle adjustment and did another look over the plane to make sure nothing was falling off. All looked good so I took it up again. I flew up to Hackney Airpark and met up with The Machinist. The wind really kicked up so we left there and flew over to Treeport Airfield. The wind was a little crazy there too but we got in without damaging anything. After some fuel and phone calls we decided to fly back to KCOE where my hanger is and get lunch and fuel. The wind was better there and we made it in easily. After lunch and fuel The Machinist decided he was going to fly into a local back country strip. I opted out until I get a few more hours in the valley. 

I flew 3.9 hours total. I have a few adjustments to make  I’m going to fill in around the radiator as my temps in climb get near 180. When I level out they set about 165. I’m still seeing high EGT’s in cruise. The temps are perfect in all other phases of flight. I’m convinced I need more prop. I’m running a GSC three blade 64 inch. Max RPM in climb is 6200. It’s time to look at a longer prop and possibly different jetting. Its just in that rpm range between between 5800 to 6000 right where you cruise 85% of the time. 

Here are a few pictures 

76C53E50-A41A-4F70-816E-4CD3C648B31E.jpeg

F3AECD8F-F618-4706-9274-4910B017732E.jpeg

78AB3410-9A50-4B2F-A25C-061DB1F03DFF.jpeg

C9D092BB-CB29-4986-9F6B-9DAAEE766534.jpeg

Edited by NorthIdahoAvidflyer
Spelling
3 people like this

Posted

C6738445-9B86-4142-B030-3F4902E24F8E.jpeg

9FB74999-C3B4-43E3-A28C-CCDE94A8E360.jpeg

3 people like this

Posted

F73B8A63-1FA2-4479-A194-7E85C3F3259C.jpeg

5 people like this

Posted

Congratulations Vance! :beerchug:

image.thumb.jpeg.8c0cfe6dba8abc57f89f3f6

3 people like this

Posted

Looks like fun! Glad all went well.

I'm getting close to my first flight in the Avid too...can't wait. Wish I had some cool strips to land at like you guys.

Happy flying!

Brooks

1 person likes this

Posted

Very nice Vance.  And if you grin for to long, your cheeks eventually start to hurt.  But it's worth it!!!  JImChuk

Posted

Vince:

Nice shots. Hope to see you sometime when I make my annual flight to the Johnson Creek base camp. The breakfast at Sulphur Creek is MUCH better than the one at Flying B.

John M

1 person likes this

Posted

Vince:

Nice shots. Hope to see you sometime when I make my annual flight to the Johnson Creek base camp. The breakfast at Sulphur Creek is MUCH better than the one at Flying B.

John M

John M, The Johnson Creek strip is definitely on my to do list. We have a lot of little Back Country strips here locally that I can get my feet wet on. I hope to have my 40 flown off and some Back Country strips under my belt before next spring. When do you normally go in there? Do you do the annual fly-in? We will definitely be talking more about this.

:BC:

Posted

That's Awesome! After all the trying times you pushed through and finally made that First Flight!  Congrats....gotta be a Hell Of A Feeling!  I think that Grin will be stuck for a little while.  :BC:Randy 

Posted

Good for you Vance! You pushed through everything that popped up and now have a flying bird. Enjoy your flying now. Won’t be long before you’ll be mounting up some skis. 

1 person likes this

Posted

AWESOME!

1 person likes this

Posted

So cool congratulations.

1 person likes this

Posted

Glad to hear you're back in the air.  I just put a deposit on a KF 5, so as soon as I can get some time scheduled with Stick & Rudder, I'll be checking out the Idaho back country as well.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I flew another 1.4 yesterday after work after making a few more adjustments to the carburetors. I re-timed the slides, leaned the idle circuit, and made a needle adjustment. Everything is looking better but the temps are running just a bit lower than I would like in the mid-range and cruise. I think one more adjustment to the needle and I should be good to go.

Another item that needs addressed is to add baffling around the cheek radiators. my water temps are quick to rise when the airplane is in a steep climb. In the Idaho Back Country this is something I will be doing often. The temps come right down after lowering the nose. 

I'm also going to add Gap Seals to the elevator and VG's added. 

More updates to follow.....

Edited by NorthIdahoAvidflyer
addition to text

Posted

Radio?

Ammeter?

1 person likes this

Posted

Radio?

Ammeter?

Sorry, the radio is working a lot better than before. The new RG400 coax took out a lot of noise out.  There is room for improvement but I've been focused on flying and not so much on the radio. I was in the pattern yesterday talking to an inbound jet 19 miles out. Still getting a pretty good whine at higher RPM settings. I will install new plug wires and shielded caps as soon as I get a few other items take taken care of.

I have not done anything with the Amp gauge yet. It's another thing on the list along with installing my Facet Pump and hooking up my fuel pressure gauge. :)

1 person likes this

Posted

I definitely gotta get a new antenna and cable. The wonkey one in my plane doesn't work for shit. My little antenna on my radio is clearer then this thing. Plus it has a weird connection for it .

Radio?

Ammeter?

Sorry, the radio is working a lot better than before. The new RG400 coax took out a lot of noise out.  There is room for improvement but I've been focused on flying and not so much on the radio. I was in the pattern yesterday talking to an inbound jet 19 miles out. Still getting a pretty good whine at higher RPM settings. I will install new plug wires and shielded caps as soon as I get a few other items take taken care of.

I have not done anything with the Amp gauge yet. It's another thing on the list along with installing my Facet Pump and hooking up my fuel pressure gauge. :)

Posted

North Idaho:

We usually fly to Idaho in late June.

When I drove a 582 I didn't need metal plug caps. I did install a 20,000MFD capacitor across the 12-volt line and used the resistor plugs that took care of the ignition wine. 

Also, make sure your kill wires are shielded and the shield are grounded at one end only and don't run close to any avionics wires. They really put out the noise. To check if they are an issue rev the engine up to where it makes wining noise and switch from left to right mag and see if there is a reduction when you are only on one mag.

To check carb richness when in cruise slowly pull o the enricher. If RPM increases you are too lean. If it bogs down your are too rich. This has worked for me.

I don't see the need for VGs. The flaperons do a great job of keeping the air attached to the wing at high angles of attack. Sure, you can land at a higher angle of attack, but that just makes the tail wheel hit first then the mains.

I touch down at 40 MPH clean and 36 with full flaperons.

I have flown into many short and narrow Idaho strips including Mile High with no need for VGs. They also make it more difficult to clean off the wings.

You should have many fun times in the Avid and who knows if the company starts up again we should be able to buy replacement parts.

Buy the way, my MK4 has a lot more leg room than my model B did. I like that a LOT and I am only 5'8" tall.

For your long camping trips, you will want to buy the hanging bag from Fischer Upholstery 208-939-6513. It also serves as a duffle bag when you land and go to a hotel for the night.

If one wing seems heavy you can adjust the Hein bolt on the rear left wing strut to get the trim right. 

John M

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank you for the detailed email John M. 

I will look into the capacitor. Where did you install it exactly? I will give the mag check thing a try. My kill wires are not grounded but that should not be to hard to make happen. I am already using the resistor plugs. 

I do not have an enrichener circuit (choke) only a pimer bulb. Would I get the same effect by shooting it some fuel with the primer?  

I have had the same discussion about the Vg's with other guys. Most feel they are not needed on the HH wing. My wing has double faults ribs (three faults ribs between the main ribs) which does not leave a lot of flat area to put them anyways. I bought them for my Zenith 701 anyways so they will not be wasted. 

Thanks again

Posted

Vance

The cap was installed from the 12-volt buss bar to the ground buss.

What radio are you using? Is the wine appearing on your intercom or from the radio receiver?

I have found that most ignition interference can be eliminated by using a good common ground. If you have grounds at various locations behind your panel you can cause "ground loops." 

You may be able to use the primer if you slowly push it in. Do this with plenty of altitude so f you kill the engine you have time for a restart.

Looks like your Avid is a MK4. My MK 4 also has 3 false ribs between the main ribs. My model B only had two. A friend had a MK4 that had 4 false ribs between the mains. Are your wings underchambered?

John M

1 person likes this

Posted

JohnM, I will post pictures of my electrical setup. My ground are all to a common place in the front and I do have another ground point in the back by the battery. 

I’m usimg a Icom A6 radio. 

Yes, my wings is undercambered. 

Posted

John M. I have a 20,000 MFD capacitor on the way. The other day while flying, one of the local instructors told me that all he could hear was a "click" when I tried to transmit. I finally figures out that it was the battery pack I have been using. It's one of the type that you add alkaline batteries to. Once the batteries get so low they don't have enough deep cycle capability to maintain a transmission.

I have one of the battery packs that has a cord running to a cigarette lighter plug. Ir works great to power the radio but they I have to put up with the whining from the engine. 

I will take some pictures of my ground and and power buss and post them tonight. I have my 12 volt auxiliary/cigarette plug port connected right to the battery and use them to power my intercom and radio. maybe you or Chris could give me an idea on where to install this noise filter.

Posted

John M. I have a 20,000 MFD capacitor on the way. The other day while flying, one of the local instructors told me that all he could hear was a "click" when I tried to transmit. I finally figures out that it was the battery pack I have been using. It's one of the type that you add alkaline batteries to. Once the batteries get so low they don't have enough deep cycle capability to maintain a transmission.

I have one of the battery packs that has a cord running to a cigarette lighter plug. Ir works great to power the radio but they I have to put up with the whining from the engine. 

I will take some pictures of my ground and and power buss and post them tonight. I have my 12 volt auxiliary/cigarette plug port connected right to the battery and use them to power my intercom and radio. maybe you or Chris could give me an idea on where to install this noise filter.

It sucks but the power supply Icom sells will likely fix your issue. https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/cigarette-lighter-adapter-for-icom-a24-a6-transceivers.html?utm_source=google_shopping&m=simple&mrkgcl=596&mrkgadid=3208669406&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Avionics+%26+Radios&adpos=1o2&creative=295428070003&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhuH8gZbG3QIVAb7ACh3hxQLaEAQYAiABEgJkX_D_BwE

1 person likes this

Posted

Very cool, Vance!  Your bird looks so nice!  It's hard to just practice landings when there's so much sky beckoning!