Mountain Avid finally Flys

55 posts in this topic

Posted

Those "Rotax" shielded plug caps are higher quality than the ones you got. 1K Ohm will not filter as well as 5 K ohm. However 5k will have a bit less spark energy. If you stick with the 5 K ohm plug caps, you may be able to use B8ES screw off cap plugs instead of BR8ES (R stands for resistor built into the plug) since the plug cap has 5K ohm resistance. You'll just have to experiment around. I do like the Rotax Shielded plug caps though. They look a lot more like the original Bosch I used.

Posted

Here is how I secured my caps  

026E905F-E64E-4D3A-B5C5-C4794B1F0974.jpeg

6C652037-6FD3-469C-B7F6-3FF00C4E1A49.jpeg

00E89AB2-FEB0-44F1-99F3-DAB2BF9BA04F.jpeg

7AD6D38B-31E0-4383-A0D3-1D8C8B983E60.jpeg

Posted

A screw clamp at the base of the cap will keep it on also.:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

C5 engineer:

The cigarette lighter can be noisy itself. I use a panel mount ICOM 210, but when I flew my Model B I used only the hand held hooked up to an outside antenna.

If you have a clean signal on batteries only and noise with the adapter it's most likely the lighter adapter. Is it an ICOM adapter? They are usually pretty good noise wise.

John M

Posted

Those "Rotax" shielded plug caps are higher quality than the ones you got. 1K Ohm will not filter as well as 5 K ohm. However 5k will have a bit less spark energy. If you stick with the 5 K ohm plug caps, you may be able to use B8ES screw off cap plugs instead of BR8ES (R stands for resistor built into the plug) since the plug cap has 5K ohm resistance. You'll just have to experiment around. I do like the Rotax Shielded plug caps though. They look a lot more like the original Bosch I used.

Chris, I wanted to tell you that I bought and installed a 30 AMP noise filter right at the regulator. It is now filtering the whole system.  I flew this weekend and it was the first time I actually didn't have the worst radio reception in the group. I actually had one of the best. 

It all came down to a few key changes. Good antenna, double shielded coax, shielded plug caps and noise filter near the source. Nice and quite!!!!!

Thank you for all the help from everyone. Much appreciated.