covering process

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Opinions from the group. I've used the poly fiber system for almost 40 years and this time I am thinking of using the Stewart System this time due to it being more user friendly to my old worn out body. Anybody have any opinions, good or bad, on this system.  I have intentions of using the glue, the UV coating and then using some form of latex as a final color.  The Stewart System final paint is rather expensive, well, it all is, but $300 a gallon is rather steep for a hillbilly. A good name brand latex paint at $50 a gallon is more reasonable and since it is all water based, it is compatible to each other.  I've breathed enough MEK based stuff in forty years that I can pee on something and strip the paint.

Posted

300 bucks a gallon is stupid. 

I used val spar with good results on a fisher avenger that I did. Just make sure what ever you use is 100% Acrylic that's what keeps the flexibility.

On my Kitfox I used poly tone and its holding up really good. So far I got 27hrs on it.

100_0493.JPG

100_0520.JPG

Posted

I've always had good results with poly-tone. And it holds up well for years. I just want to try the SS glue and UV protector. Don't think poly-tone and stewarts are compatible.

Posted (edited)

If user friendliness is a factor you can also take a look at Oratex. No solvants what so ever, no smells, no paint, no pain. It is so clean to work with you can do it in your living room.The end result will never be as perfect as "traditional just out of the paint box" but it looks very good and age very well. No paint that can crack or peel off. A great weight saver (saved somewhere between 5 a 7 kg on my Avid Flyer and had to reajust the CG...). As an example, including glue, covering both wings (left and right) is less than 3 kg of Oratex covering.
It might appear expensive by the meter but as it is all inclusive the price comes out pretty much the same in the end as Stewart. Unless you have to pay someone to do the paint job for you...
There are many posts on Oratex in the forum if you search for it and several of us have personal experiences to share. It is worth to take a look at.

Edited by FredStork
2 people like this

Posted

Allen I have used Latex on a couple of different planes with some success.  I have also use the polyfibre system and except for the fumes like it a lot.  My latex system is to start with Stewarts glue for attaching the fabric. (Same glue is available from 3m)  Follow the youtube videos for laying the fabric and tape and the blue paper towels will give an nice smooth edge with all the sheered edges well stuck and staying flat.  Once the fabric is applied I roll Kilz premium primer on the surface.  It will cover the green glue and give you a great white base.  The Kilz primer is applied with a white foam roller.  They are only about 4 inches but are very closed cell and apply the Kilz smooth.  Available from the dollar store.  The Kilz is also somewhat sandable and you can correct any small errors.  The coats of latex are sprayed in a conventional manor.  If you are used to Polytone, then you will not have an issue spraying latex.  I use blue windshield washer fluid to thin the latex to the correct consistency to spray.  On one plane I added back to the Kilz to add UV protection,  so much like the Stewart's, but on another I did not.  My thinking is the latex has UV blockers if it is an exterior good grade house paint. (I so dislike the term house paint when used in the same paragraph as airplane.)  Plus the only time my plane is in the elements is when I am flying it.  On my Kitfox I sprayed a coat of white first then I sprayed the yellow.  I am not sure if the white was necessary but it sure looked good when I put it on.  The yellow looks good too.  The other advantage of latex is you can get any color you want.  I tried to give my plane a little brighter looking yellow than the cub yellow by adding more of an orange tint to it.  I could have gone a little more orange tint and been a little happier with the results.  Still I like what i have. 

Like Tjay I used Valspar on this plane.  I was sold by the demo of the paint on a rubber ball that was painted by Lowes and after lots of bouncing the paint was holding.  They also had a piece of siding that people had used keys and quarters to scratch and it was holding up well.  

(Disclaimer  I had used Behr on a previous project and I think I like the Behr  better.)  

How does it hold up?   Well I have only had it on for 2 years and about 300 hours but so far it is acceptable.  I just applied my first coat of Carnuba automotive wax and it brightened the shine.  Added 20 mph to the cruise too. (Just Kidding)  I did get some av gas on it and the finish lost some color where the fuel spilled.  Do Not spill Av gas on latex.

Is it worth the effort.  I think for our style of planes (experimental) that it is well worth it.  We probably want to inspect and redo if necessary in 15 to 20 years and I am sure the finish will last that long.  I also believe that it depends on the plane.  If I were building a new model 7 that had a market of $80 to $120 then latex might be the wrong choice but on an older rebuild like we are doing, my choice is to use latex and be happy with the results. 

BusinessPhoto.jpeg

white wing.jpg

Yellow wing.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

My thought exactly.

3 people like this

Posted

I just decided to do my plane in latex today and I was so worried. It seemed like the right choice. Then I saw this post, thanks for putting my mind at ease my friends. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Well i do agree with this awesome information, and price, i also thinking ill try latex on my poly fiber covered wings. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I've done my tail feathers and they look great. It's so easy. Hit them with 1500 grit after final coat smooth as glass  

Posted

I've done my tail feathers and they look great. It's so easy. Hit them with 1500 grit after final coat smooth as glass  

I hear you can also buff it to a shine

1 person likes this

Posted

JustNorm, thanks for the tips on Latex paint. What is the name of that yellow color, and how do I get exactly that color from my Lowe's?  Thanks!

1 person likes this

Posted

The question I have is what happens if a repair is necessary. PolyFiber is simple to repair.  It would seem to me that would not be the case but I have no knowledge of making a fabric patch onto latex paint. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Always make a test panel when covering. Usually a 3'X4' panel is big enough. Or make one for every major color. You can use it to test paint color, making a patch repair, or use it to cut patches for a damaged area that is color matched already. Even a 2x4 frame will suffice. Go thru the complete process, gluing, UV coating and paint so it is ready to use for repairs or testing repairs before doing it on the aircraft fabric. One always has scrap fabric left over. After you are done, cut it out, roll it up and put it on the shelf for future use. You'll find it handy later on. Also write on the backside, type of fabric, process used, color, # of coats, etc. You might forget later.

Edited by Allen Sutphin
1 person likes this

Posted

JustNorm, thanks for the tips on Latex paint. What is the name of that yellow color, and how do I get exactly that color from my Lowe's?  Thanks!

I started with Cub yellow and added some orange to make the color pop.  I wish I had a little more orange in it but it is pretty good.  I am away from my hanger til the middle of the month but I can get the paint codes off the can if you want. Honestly go to lowes n have them mix a color you like. Then add to it til it's perfect for you They will do it in small test sizes till u get it right for you, then buy the gallon. I think the point test paint was less than 5 bucks.

1 person likes this

Posted

The question I have is what happens if a repair is necessary. PolyFiber is simple to repair.  It would seem to me that would not be the case but I have no knowledge of making a fabric patch onto latex paint. 

If you use Stewart's system glue you just apply the patch right over the hole (hope it's not to big) then paint over the patch as above.

Sand if necessary, carefully, n second coat.  Done carefully you may not see the patch.

1 person likes this

Posted

Doesn't isopropyl alcohol dissolve latex paints?  Seems to me it does so quite slowly. FWIW.

Posted

I'm about to start enhancing the paint job on my plane. Right now it's just polyspray and I'm going to use latex over the top of it. What kind of surface prep do i need to do to get it to stick well?

Posted

I have been told that Polyfiber is a chemical bond and Latex is a Mechanical bond.  Not sure how good stick will be.  At this point maybe spray your final with PolyFibre