Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ribs and spar material

6 posts in this topic

Posted

just drumming up conversation and trying to learn a bit. I think Eurofox use aluminum ribs...but it doesn’t seem too popular. Neither does composite ribs and spars? I know belites are using carbon spars, just a thought. I’m always thinking these type of things.

Posted

Yes, Eurofx/Aerotrek use aluminum ribs.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted

How much heavier are the aluminum wings?

Posted

Not so sure they are, in any event I never weighed any of my wings.

Posted

Back when I was flying a Himax, I was talking to Wayne Ison who was the designer of the Mini Max, Himax, Airbike, and a couple of the Fisher aircraft.  He was telling me about how Hummul Aviation copied the mini max but did it out of aluminum, (at least the wings for sure) and it came in heavier than the wood built Mini max wing.  The wood was also easier to work with, and cheaper to build.  Hard to beat the design that Dean Wilson came up with, with the aluminum spars and wood ribs, probably for either cost, weight, or ease of building.  And as far as strength goes, Kitfox has run the same design with a better stiffener up to 1550 gross weight with no problems.  

Posted

i guess the only benefit of going away from wood is rotting issues. i suppose a carbon spar and ribs would be lighter, but likely juice not worth the squeeze. just interesting thinking i suppose.