Jabiru Engines

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I think I have posted about this before, but it needs repeating.

I have pulled the heads on my Jabiru 2200 several times and each time I have had this problem.

The hydraulic lifters on the pulled head do not relax after reinstalling the head.

This causes the valves, sometime only one, but many times both to be partially opened.

You will be able to see this by comparing the position of the valves on the head you didn't work on. They will not be as far out and near the edge of the rocker box edge as the untouched head. 

So when you turn the prop by hand you will find one cylinder with no compression. If the intake valve is held open too, you may see one of the other cylinders with no compression because of lack of vacuum.

If this happens you have a couple choices:

A) remove the head again and pull the lifters and soak them to get all the oil out. You should be able to compress them when they are clean.

B) Start the engine and let it run roughly until the oil temperature builds. This can take 5-10 minutes. You should see the EGT start to build on the soft cylinder and then after the oil is heat soaked the hyd lifters will relax and the engine will smooth out.

C) Turn the engine until one of the valves is open and leave it compressed for several minutes. This will usually allow the lifter to bleed down.

John M

Edited by skypics
1 person likes this

Posted

Anyone put a Sensenich ground adjustable prop on their Jabiru 2200?

Would be great to hear direct, real-world feedback.

Thanks, Sam.

Posted

I have a never used one hanging on the wall, but never got around to trying it out yet.  Are you looking into buying one?   Mostly I've run a warp drive on my plane, and have been happy with it.  JImChuk

Posted

Well, are you interested in selling?  I'm about to hit the 'send' button to Sensenich, but...?

Cheers, Sam.

Posted

No sure, Have the factory spinner as well.  This one is a 62"  What are they going for now from Senseich?  PM if you like, or maybe we can talk tomorrow.  JImChuk

sensanich prop.jpg

Posted

Additional info on hyd lifters.

I mentioned that it was hard to get the lifters to relax after pulling the head. Here are some solutions.

Jabiru says many owners make a plate that mounts to the rocker cover bolt holes. On this plate are two more bolts that are tightened down on the rocker where the pushrods come in. 

There is an easier way...

After you reinstall the head turn the prop until the rocker pushes down on the valve and leave it there for a few minutes.

I have also found that if regular oil changes aren't done sludge can form in the lifter affecting its operation.

John M

Posted

Regarding Props:

I used to have the WARPwhen the Avid was powered by a 582. Then I had a wood CATO prop on my model B. Now I fly with a Whirlwind 66" two blade prop and like it a lot. The WARP is heavy and the Whirlwind is light. The Whirlwind blades are scimitar-shaped and very quiet on the climb out as reported by observers.

John M