First Try At Water Skipping

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Tried my luck water skipping on the Susitna River.  First touch down was like tires skidding on pavement.  Once the tires get rolling its a piece of cake.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

You need to get yourself a set of floats!  That's some crazy S**t right there!  Great Job though...... plane is still flying.  ;)    :BC: Randy

Edited by Avid Randy

Posted

Well done! and a nice playground. What speed were you doing and does the water slow you down?

Regards
Fred

Posted

That would give me the pucker factor for sure.

Posted

Well done! and a nice playground. What speed were you doing and does the water slow you down?

Regards
Fred

I was doing 60.  The speed will slowly bleed off so had to be on the throttle and monitor speed.  It feels like it would be hard to force the tires down into the water once they start skipping.  There is a very slight feeling of nose over when I first touched but no problem to handle with elevator.  The Avids are so short that if your not on it things could quickly get out of hand.  Definitely done want to do that on a windy day as you could get pushed down suddenly and that would not be good.  When the tires first meet the water it sounds like skidding on pavement with a little more vibration.

3 people like this