582 engine in a kitfox 4

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I have this kitfox Classic IV that came with a 503 Rotax. I removed it and am installing a 582 ROtax. WHen I went to install the cowling I noted the engine is so far aft that the prop will not clear the cowling. I added a 2-1/2" prop spacer and the prop barely clears the cowling. I am thinking I might have to get a different cowling at some point.... Any ideas?????

I point out where the old exhaust was and now you can see the engine is aft of where the cowling was cut to clear the old exhaust...

Mark

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

Posted

I measure 25-3/4" from front face of firewall where the motor mount bolts on to the front edge of the nose ring cowling

I measure 23" from front face of firewall where the motor mount bolts on to the front face of prop flange.

Posted (edited)

Mark,  what is the length of the yellow part of your cowling?   JImChuk

PS, just looked at your email to me again, and you say the cowl is just two pieces....  Top and bottom.  So forget the question.  That is different from what my Kitfox 3 and 4 cowls are.  They were both 4 pieces.  

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

I think my cowl is longer from back to front than the 4 piece cowl, the one with the 2 cowl rings on the front.....

Posted

Mark,  what if you measure from the front bottom of the door on the cowl to the front of the cowl and I'll try to do the same tomorrow with my Kitfox 3 cowl.  I'm not finding the pics where I measured from the fire wall to the front of the prop shaft on the Kitfox 1 with a 582.  JImChuk

Posted

I will probably end up cutting the back of the cowl to shorten it and then relocating the camloks that hold it to the fuselage....not looking forward to this  but Im pretty sure it will fix things. the top cowl has a lip to fit to the windshield so that might be a little harder to reproduce after I cut it to shorten it...

The factory list cowlings for about $1000 plus shipping . I might call them to day and ask if there are two different lenght of cowlings...

Posted

Wonder if it wouldn't be easier to cut out 2" of the yellow part where it meets the gray part of the cowling.  Either that or find another cowl.  I have a never used one from my 3 that I may not use.  Probably some closer to you though.  Shipping would be a bit of a killer.  JImChuk

Posted

It's looking good Mark. I have been meaning to get a hold of you but its been a super for me this summer.