Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Plastic prop hub replacement?

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey everyone, 

If you've seen my other thread you know i recently bought a KF1, which I'm going through right now.  Despite the fact the previous owner told me all service bulletins bad been completed the only one so far that I've found that's actually been done are the gussets on the elevator.   As the thread title indicates I've got the original plastic prop hub/ spinner and need the aluminum one or possibly another prop. Can any of you tell me what the options are? I'm wondering since it's been 2 decades almost since the service bulletin was issued if the aluminum hub is even being made anymore?

Thanks, 

Will A.

Posted

If you posted the SB, it would be easier.  Now we have to go looking for it or not answer. JImChuk

PS  it seems there was a problem with the spinner.  If you don't have a plastic spinner, you probably don't need to worry about it.  

1 person likes this

Posted

My apologies I just assumed that it was a commonly known thing.  It's #1 here: http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/index.php/service-bulletin

I guess being solved nearly 20 years ago means the issue doesn't pop up much.

And i do have the plastic spinner so i do have to worry about it.

Posted

Looks like you have a GSC prop from the one picture.  Didn't know they had a plastic spinner.  Easy to solve that one.  Get rid of the spinner.  And if it's the original prop, the prop blades will have go according to GSC as well.  Their blades have a 5 year lifespan I think.  Check their website.  JImChuk

Posted

As long as the mandatory ones are done that's all that's needed.

Posted

Anyone know what the numbers that were on the cowl are? You can see a large 2 and a smaller 257. I'm guessing the 257 is the kitfox serial number but have no clue what the large number 2 meant. 20180913_220911.thumb.jpg.940b45f83d2f07

Posted

Must have been part of someone else's paint job.  Wouldn't have come from the factory like that I'm guessing.   Your paperwork should have the serial # on it.  Would think it was lower than 257 though, but maybe not.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Just barely called GSC and asked about the prop. Long story short I've got a wall ornament.  As per the service bulletin the plastic hub is not something you want to fly behind and the blades at the roots are square (ie not adjustable like current GSC offerings) so I'm looking for a completely new prop since all their current aluminum hubs are made for round blade roots,or in other words ground adjustable.  They quoted me a price of $625 for a 68" 3 blade prop or $740 for one with leading edge protection.  

About the comment above about the wood blades being life limited to 5 years the new owner Marty said that is not the case.  As long as they are in good condition you can continue to use them. 

If anyone wants to see close up pics of a dinosaur here's the original plastic hub:

20180925_091246.jpg

20180925_091240.jpg

Edited by Willja67
Spelling

Posted

My plane came with two props. One the same as this, with the square roots, and another, newer GSC, with the round roots. I was told that this (the same style) prop noticably outperformed the other. Since they’re calling for a return to the factory after five years, I went ahead and bought a new Powerfin for my 503. Not having tried it yet, I’m really happy with their customer service, and the fit and finish is great. It’s a beautiful prop. Too bad I won’t get to do the side by side by side comparison of the three. That new 66” three blade with stainless leading edge tape ran me about a grand. I might have the one prop serviced, and sell it. I just wasn’t that excited about using it, since I already knew the older one was better.