Flying off paved runways

28 posts in this topic

Posted

I think the arguments go something like this:

Use toe in because it is a more inherently stable geometry less prone to wander, therefore less prone to initiate a yaw generating landing, hence why it is done in automobiles.

Use to out because if you are yawing, the tire will try and follow the yaw, giving you more time to respond with control input,  rather than tire going the opposite direction underneath you thereby causing a rapid progression into a ground loop.

On my Magnum I set toe in to zero because I couldn't make up my mind which made the most sense as both arguments have merit. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I tried mine toe out at first didn't work.  What started to happen (on pavement) the tire was trying to pull to the outside and that would pull my gear out and compress my springs not cool.  So I set them toe in and that helps hold the gear in the full up right position.  I also figure there is give in all the pipe on my landing gear so being toe in when you start rolling your pushing against the tubing which is really setting the wheels at zero.  Remember I am only border line Genius so do what works best for you. :)

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Yeah, that was my original thought: that toe-in would work to increase drag on the more forward tire relative to the direction of the plane's momentum, thus working to help align the plane with its direction of travel, so I couldn't understand how toe-out could be beneficial.  Now I get why this could be wrong, and could make a swerve worse.  Thanks for the explanation!  I think I'll keep it neutral just the same.  I imagine tires last a lot longer on grass - maybe forever! (Jk)  How many tarmac landings is a Carlisle good for anyways?

Edited by Turbo