Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

First Flight Avid Flyer A

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys,

I finally flew my Avid Flyer A for the first time today after owning it for 2 years. After alot of work and alot of research my dream has come true. I would like to thank everyone on the forum for taking the time to give your input with your own perspective regarding these airplanes.

While everyone may fly them a little different, one can mold his own techniques from all the information shared.

They are incredible machines that are very challenging and will greatly develop ones flying skills. The CC Sport Cub I just got my BFR done in seems so tame now.

The wealth of information available here is invaluable. Thanks to all who have uploaded  documents, because buying an airplane and getting zero supporting documentation makes maintenance a challenge...

The plane flew great. I trimmed with the flapperon setting. Hands off! For a couple seconds anyway...haha

Tried a wheel landing first. With the extra speed and power that was interesting. It took some time to get it slowed down.

Tried a full stall next and that worked better because of the slower speeds. I'm still crossing the threshold at 60mph and it wants to float for quite a while. I may come in a little slower next time.

15 TOs and landings so far...

It was a great day at a classic grass strip airport...Stanton, Mn.

I love grass!

Brooks

20180915_111300.jpg

20180915_085742.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Looks awesome! Congratulations! If it is squirrelly I would recommend spending time getting super comfortable on grass before taking it to pavement.

You are gonna love it! I can tell you already do!

Edited by Chris Bolkan

Posted

Wonderful news Brooks.  Good to have another Avid back in the air.  Glad you are having fun with the plane.  Now it's starting to be worth all the effort you put into it up till this point.  Next thing is some videos.... :) JImChuk

Posted

Next thing is some videos.... :) JImChuk

Yeah, you and Trent Palmer better watch out! Haha

Posted

Very nice Mr. I come across the threshold around 50, very smooth there.