Kitfox S/N 1000 Restoration! N73BH

Can I test run a 912uls without a prop?!?   10 votes

1. 1. Can I test run a 912uls without a prop?!?

• Yes, go for it!
    • Hmm... Maybe, but be careful...
    • NO WAY!!!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

38 posts in this topic

Posted

I just realized that maybe the HH in my SN (HH604-75) stands for Hammer Head. ???

Posted

I'd say take it to a local auto body shop, maybe one of the bigger ones that also work on semi trucks Our local body shop has a huge frame straightener and a couple of large presses. These type of shops are used to bending metal back to original shape and can do so fast and for a reasonable rate. Much cheaper than a new gear. Some even have huge ovens to stress relieve the metal after bending. Some shops might not want to take on an aircraft part but others have no problem  with a simple tweak job like yours.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'd say take it to a local auto body shop, maybe one of the bigger ones that also work on semi trucks Our local body shop has a huge frame straightener and a couple of large presses. These type of shops are used to bending metal back to original shape and can do so fast and for a reasonable rate. Much cheaper than a new gear. Some even have huge ovens to stress relieve the metal after bending. Some shops might not want to take on an aircraft part but others have no problem  with a simple tweak job like yours.

That's a good Idea! I don't have a big body shop locally but I'll call around and see if anyone would be willing to do something like that.

Posted

If anyone wants to know what motor oil a 912uls uses, I just picked up 3 quarts of 5-w30 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil from O' Reily's. for $9.99 a quart. I am also still looking for new blades for my 72" IVO ultralight, although I did just contact someone on Barnstormers who has a two-blade Magnum for $300.

Posted

Are you sure that oil will work with the 912? The 912 has an integrated gearbox which I think requires high pressure additives to properly lubricate the gears. I really don't know much about what oil properties oil used on the 912 should have, but I would make sure it is also formulated to also work in high pressure gearbox application.

I've just been using the Aeroshell specifically formulated for the 912 and may be spending way too much money. So I am very interested to know if 5w30 full synthetic will indeed do an adequate job!

Posted

Are you sure that oil will work with the 912? The 912 has an integrated gearbox which I think requires high pressure additives to properly lubricate the gears. I really don't know much about what oil properties oil used on the 912 should have, but I would make sure it is also formulated to also work in high pressure gearbox application.

I've just been using the Aeroshell specifically formulated for the 912 and may be spending way too much money. So I am very interested to know if 5w30 full synthetic will indeed do an adequate job!

Chris, check out the link JimChuck posted, Mobil 1 5-w30 is the recommended oil for the 912 and is on sale right now at O'Reilly's . I also just learned today that the spark plugs are a 16mm deep socket and are tightened to 177 inch/lbs. I'm going to start working on the engine in ernest soon. Does anyone know where I can find a exhaust bend for the pilot's side? They seem really expensive from rotax... 

Posted

You may want to do a little more research.  The way I read it Aero Shell Sport Plus 4 is the only oil currently recommended by Rotax. Mobil 1 covers a lot of oils.  The one that was previously deemed as acceptable was Mobil 1 4T which is motorcycle oil. It has the additives necessary for the Rotax gearbox, But is not suitable if you are running 100LL.

http://docusearch.flyrotax.com/files/pdf/d06038.pdf

Posted

You may want to do a little more research.  The way I read it Aero Shell Sport Plus 4 is the only oil currently recommended by Rotax. Mobil 1 covers a lot of oils.  The one that was previously deemed as acceptable was Mobil 1 4T which is motorcycle oil. It has the additives necessary for the Rotax gearbox, But is not suitable if you are running 100LL.

http://docusearch.flyrotax.com/files/pdf/d06038.pdf

Thanks wypaul for the concern. I would be running only MOGAS as I couldn't afford avgas anyway... This SB by rotax states that if using MOGAS full synthetic oil (Which is what I bought) should be used. https://www.experimentalaircraft.info/doc/rotax/si-18-1997-r5.pdf 

Posted

The SB you posted is for the new BRP line of rotax engines.

Posted

Ok, did you notice that is says all Rotax 912 engines.  My question is are you talking about Mobil 1 or are you talking about Mobil 1 4T oil the two are very different oils.  Really makes no difference to me what oil you choose but I would like to think that you are making an informed choice.

1 person likes this

Posted

Nile

I have a new Gforce oil cooler "size that you need" ordered and being sent to me. As soon as receive it I'll send it on to you. Company I got it from doesn't mail to a P.O. box. It is only the cooler. If you need new hoses, fittings or mounting brackets let me know, I'll get those to you also.

Posted

Nile

I have a new Gforce oil cooler "size that you need" ordered and being sent to me. As soon as receive it I'll send it on to you. Company I got it from doesn't mail to a P.O. box. It is only the cooler. If you need new hoses, fittings or mounting brackets let me know, I'll get those to you also.

Thank you SO MUCH!! I haven't been able to reply to this forum for some reason lately. I have all the hoses and fittings already. 

Ok, did you notice that is says all Rotax 912 engines.  My question is are you talking about Mobil 1 or are you talking about Mobil 1 4T oil the two are very different oils.  Really makes no difference to me what oil you choose but I would like to think that you are making an informed choice.

You're right wypaul, that SB does apply to all 912's. If you're on the Kitfox owner's group on facebook we have a really interesting discussion going about engine oil.