Pappa Bravo in the Gorge

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi Guys.  Just thought i'd post a few pix from my home stomping grounds - the Columbia River Gorge.  My Avid C, N23PB, is in good health, and although she's a little on the plain side, she's got the magic.  Got in about 1.2 hrs today 9/18/2018.  Overflying a friend's house I thought I'd call him on the cell.  Took off the headphones and YOW, it's way too noisy!  Oh well.  I'm getting about 80 mph indicated at 4500 rpm, low altitude.  Not bad!  - Turbo

DSCF5766.JPG

DSCF5769.JPG

DSCF5770.JPG

DSCF5774.JPG

Edited by Turbo
5 people like this

Posted

Nice! Is that a landing strip on the ridge on the second to last photo? It looks like a clearer line there...

Strip.thumb.JPG.b836433c163a536e8c6eff89

Posted (edited)

Nice! Is that a landing strip on the ridge on the second to last photo? It looks like a clearer line there...

Strip.thumb.JPG.b836433c163a536e8c6eff89

I recognize that area.  I think its a wheat field.  You can zoom in on google maps.

I'm having trouble posting a link to Google maps that works,.  I'll see if i can fix it.

Try this https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rowena,+OR+97058/@45.6698675,-121.2934784,4696m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x5496197f27a0eb79:0xcc011ca5b797764d!8m2!3d45.6723426!4d-121.2684056

The link works when I copy and paste it on my computer but it gets some strange results when I paste it into this post.  The lat and long is 45.6628, -121.2854

Edited by tcj

Posted

That is excellent Turbo!!! love the pictures. Maybe we can get together one of these days and fly the gorge. 

Posted

Great Idea,Vance!  Do I hear the rumblings of a NW fly-in?  Wouldn't it be great to put faces to the names, and get to know the many Avid fliers in our area!  Not to mention getting in-flight pix of our birds!   I see, flying with THE MACHINIST you got some great pix of your beautiful bird!

Posted (edited)

Fred,  I did not notice that "strip".  Sounds like a lower-altitude pass is in order. Orientation to wind looks correct.  However, when I blew up the pic on my tablet, it did not look like an airstip.  The aeronautical chart shows no airstrip there.

Edited by Turbo