Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Seaplane/float rating

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I took a few days off work last week and Ronna and I went up to Lake Pend Oreille in Idaho for sea plane training with Coeur d'alene Seaplanes. The two owners are Glen Smith and Lisa Martin.

It was an awesome week. I flew in their Piper PA 12 Super Cruiser on EDO 2000 floats. It was a very nice flying plane, surprisingly not that much different than our Avids in overall flight characteristics which was a real bonus, except it landed even slower and floated a bit more on landing which was an additional bonus. 

Lisa was my instructor and Glen gave me the oral and check ride. It was an awesome experience, I passed and now my licence will have seaplane on it!

I would highly recommend this to anyone who hasn't done it. I have no other seaplane school experience to compare to but you could not go wrong doing it at Lake Pend Oreille with Glen and Lisa. The place (absolutely beautiful setting) , learning environment (not crowded), so many cool places to practice takeoffs and landings and the super nice (and skilled) people made it a fantastic experience.

During our down time we kayaked and mountain biked around the area which is a destination in itself.

Now I'm starting to look at floats.

Chris

2 people like this

Posted

It's dangerous - I did my seaplane rating at Jack Browns in Winter Haven FL several years ago.  Then I bought a pair of Avid floats Jim Chuk had laying around. Still haven't put them on, but I do go fly a seaplane every year or so at Jones Brothers in Tavares FL

Mark

Posted

It's dangerous as in addicting? :-)

Posted

Yes, so very dangerous :)

IMG_8272.PNG

3 people like this

Posted

It's dangerous as in addicting? :-)

Exactly - dangerous to the wallet!

Posted

What a great picture.

Posted (edited)

Congrats Chris, water opens up a whole other world of flying possibilities. I was talking with Kenneth (lostman) last night. He bid on and won a SP rating check ride during the SPA Cornroast at OSH this year and had just gotten back with the endorsement. He was pretty darned stoked too (he is building a Apex Ridge Runner floatplane that should be craazy!). I have amphibs in the hangar for my A+ when ever I get that finished, lotsa float flying buddies around here, can't wait to join 'em!

Edited by dholly

Posted

There is a lot of water around me too, even tho I live in the desert. The Snake, Columbia and Yakima rivers all come together where I live, and there are numerous lakes not too far away. I am stoked too. Hard not to be!