Tail offset for engine rotation

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Our EAA chapter has a donated Kitfox 1 that local kids are rebuilding under our supervision. It is a major renovation down to the airframe. The owner who gifted it to us had a Rotax 582UL installed. He said the original kit was for an engine that turned the opposite direction and suggested that we change the tail offset to accommodate the change. He as been flying it with lots of rudder at takeoff and a trim tab to help in cruise. 

Has anyone encountered this before and have any suggestions other than just cutting the tubes and changing the offset equally to the other side and rewelding? 

Thanks

Curt 

VP EAA Chapter 1044 Overgaard AZ. 

Posted

I talked to David Snell the engineer for Skystar years ago and ask him if the tail was offset. He said that it wasn't and just use a trim tab or fly with a little rudder. They kept the tail straight inline due to so many different engines being tried and different rotations of prop. Same with the engine mount, no degree's down or to the left or right for the same reasons.

Posted

Curt

I'm going to the same situation right now with a A model Avid, the father of Kitfox,  changing to a Mark 4 engine mount..which is of set .

Early Avids ,tails were offset, later were straight, so eather off set engine mount ,or rudder, I'm shining the mt because fabric is good.  If I was you and you're recovering I would go with a straight tail, that way you could put engine mount offset for whatever engine your going to use 

Posted

I talked to David Snell the engineer for Skystar years ago and ask him if the tail was offset. He said that it wasn't and just use a trim tab or fly with a little rudder. They kept the tail straight inline due to so many different engines being tried and different rotations of prop. Same with the engine mount, no degree's down or to the left or right for the same reasons.

He is wrong mine was offset alot along with many others. Maybe skystar made them strait but Denny Aerocraft did not.  I did cut the tubes and make it strait. Works really good. But Not sure I would fuss with it if I was you guys Its alot of work. When your flying just give the plane what it wants.

Posted

I suspected that he might be incorrect. While I was talking to him I was looking at my (now Jim's) model 4. It looked like it had a little offset to me but I dismissed it to my eyes going bad.  But I guess it really doesn't matter a whole lot.  Whatever it is, I don't hear of many being changed due to switching engines, more powerful engines, or different rotations.

1 person likes this

Posted

I sure thought my Kitfox 4 (your old one) was straight in the center.  Now I'll have to look.  Probably can see in a picture of the rebuild.  At any rate, it flew about 640 hrs with a Subaru engine, and when it flys again, it will have a 912.  Just found a picture that shows it pretty well.  Looks centered to me.  JImChuk

Photo1350.jpg

Posted

Thank you all for the input and suggestions. We have decided to go with a straight tail to accommodate any engine in the future. This part of the restoration was a great exercise for the kids. They got into AC 43.13 to learn the proper way to fabricate gussets for the tubes that were cut. A chapter member then showed them how to weld. Now, on to fuel tank fabrication.....

Curt