Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Throttle linkage and firewall

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

so I’m swapping into a 582 from a vw, and am having some small issues. Throttle linkage for the 582, which the vw didn’t require any bell cranks, and my firewall just goes straight down, doesn’t have reliefs for the pedals. Anyone have some knowledge to dole out. Attached is the throttle setup now and the look of my firewall

37FEBD7C-3C39-4FFA-A479-19469C7B8572.jpeg

6E0153E1-57AF-446F-8914-169647933617.jpeg

Edited by Matthewtanner

Posted

Look in the build manual posted onsite for a diagram showing firewall construction to get the dimensions of the foot and starter wells needed. You should be able to keep the upper half of your existing FW. If you have not removed the throttle belcrank attach weldment from the fuse, pretty easy D.I.Y. part if nobody has a spare for you. You might have to make a new throttle plate to relocate it to below your panel for a straighter cable path. Or, some have fabricated a 'splitter' firewall forward (C5engineer has posted pics of his made by Dean Wilson, IIRC). Probably can reuse your existing throttle cable with that approach as it eliminates the the original oem belcrank.

Posted

I didn’t see any point in my fuselage that would allow a bell crank to hook up, that’s why I assumed the builder cut it off for some reason. I looked at the build manual, I didn’t see measurements but saw a drawing of how it's supose to be, curious as how the builder planned on having full pedal authority

Posted

I'll try to get some pictures showing what the MK IV has.  I know I have the three cable linkage bellcrank.    Hopefully I don't forget.  Got to take wife to doc now.... JImChuk

Posted

If you can find an "E" gearbox you won't have to modify your firewall.They shift the cg forward but not as far as a vw.

Posted

It has a c gearbox. I’d go back to pull start if I could. The firewallnissue was that it didn’t have recess for the pedals, so I just didn’t know how I was suppose to get full range

Posted

mine was the same way when I got it.  I used shears and cut off the bottom of the firewall and used some Aluminum to build a box for the foot well, drilled and riveted it on.  Pretty fast and easy to do it.  Same for cutting the hole in the firewall for the starter on the back of the 582.

A bracket can easily be made to rivet onto the tubes under the dash to hold a kitfox style bell crank for the throttle, or you can put one outside the firewall.  Lots of ways to skin this cat.

:BC:

Posted

I’m gonna look at it when I get the motor, I’ll have a better grasp on what’s needed, but if someone has already skinned the cat, I’d take advice 

Posted (edited)

I have a partly finished stainless steel firewall that came with a C model project. Wasn't sure what I was going to do with it.  I'll try to find some pictures showing the throttle later this evening.  I forgot to take some when I was at the hangar.  Busy now for a while.  JImChuk

PS  just checked real quick and found this one.  It holds the three cables, and is pulled on by the throttle on the other end.   

newest Avid 006 (Large).jpg

newest Avid 008 (Large).jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

hello Jim, i see a spring on your throttle command, was it in original design and what is it for?  thx

manu

Posted

hello Jim, i see a spring on your throttle command, was it in original design and what is it for?  thx

manu

I found a picture in my manual showing this and there is no spring.  In the wordage with the picture though, it says a spring can be installed to offset the pull from the carb slide springs.   JImChuk

Posted

Here’s how I ended up routing it, I can post a final picture of how it is if someone wants it, this was just the gist of it.

94340217-3A8C-48E1-8EE4-D96BE63B80A3.png