lycoming mod ?

56 posts in this topic

Posted

so I am new and am looking to buy a kit fox and I like the price point of where the 3's are the only thing Is I would want a 0-125 lycoming on it this is where my question comes in can you fit a lycoming in the round cowling and or is it possible to take the new 7 cowling or a 5 safari cowling and modify it to fit on a 3 with a lycoming or do I need to look for a newer model to get that motor on it? 

Posted

That airframe was never design for that much weight FWF.  You are talking some significant mods to make it work. I do not believe a round cowl would cover that engine without major altercations also. Take it from a guy who has spent a lot of time trying to turn an airplane into something it is not......look for another model. 

Not sure what your budget look like but there is a real nice Avid Magnum kit with Floats on Barnstormers for 15k. I've seen several Magnum's with the Lyc engine. 

Just my two cents 

Good Luck

:BC:

Posted

You will have a very difficult time getting an O-235 (?) to work in a model 3.  It is just too heavy.  There will be a need to put so much ballast in the tail that you will have made a poor performing single seat airplane.

Idaho is right, if you must have a Lyco-saurus, go for a Magnum.  They are designed around that engine.

Posted

I might be a little lost here, but what is an 0-125?  Never heard of that one. 

I am with Larry on this one. The earlier models need to be kept light!  If you want a 4 stroke direct drive go for a jabiru, they are used with pretty darn good success if you are not looking for the ultimate "stol" bird.

1 person likes this

Posted

Been there, done that, got the T shirt and coffee mug. Got a good example sitting in my shop. A model 2 with a NSI/Subaru and it wasn't much of an aircraft. Always way ahead to go with the engine the airframe was designed for or at least similar weight. Subaru is gone and airframe is getting rebuilt.

1 person likes this

Posted

Could he mean a C125 that was designated 0280 by the military? A six cylinder Continental weighing 289+ and only pushing 125hp.

Posted

I thought he maybe meant an 0-145 Lycoming.  Had a guy tell me about a Kitfox he had with that engine on it.  Claimed it was real good.  Never saw any proof, just had his words to go by.  Seemed doubtful to me, but who knows???  JImChuk

Posted

sorry meant to say o-235 but I have big fingers and a small keyboard haha 

Posted

That airframe was never design for that much weight FWF.  You are talking some significant mods to make it work. I do not believe a round cowl would cover that engine without major altercations also. Take it from a guy who has spent a lot of time trying to turn an airplane into something it is not......look for another model. 

Not sure what your budget look like but there is a real nice Avid Magnum kit with Floats on Barnstormers for 15k. I've seen several Magnum's with the Lyc engine. 

Just my two cents 

Good Luck

:BC:

my only problem with the avid is I really want folding wings I need it to be under 23ft length with the wings folded it fit in my garage for when its in ND over the summers 

Posted

The magnum wings fold identical to all the other models. 

Posted

does someone have the link to that avid then also if I were to go with the fox 3 what would be the biggest motor non rotax on it and not have to do anything to insane?

Posted

does someone have the link to that avid then also if I were to go with the fox 3 what would be the biggest motor non rotax on it and not have to do anything to insane?

2 stroke or 4 stroke?

Posted

2 stroke or 4 stroke?

preferably 4 and I don't care if it only takes av gas

Posted (edited)

4 cylinder Jabiru engine is another option.  I've put about 550 hrs on one in an Avid MK IV which is very much like a Kitfox 3.  JImChuk

PS  If the plane is built light enough,  a 60 HP  HKS is another possible option

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Suzuki makes some I think as well. What ever you end up with I would try to keep it under 150lbs.

Posted

Its been my experience that if one wants more power, buy one with more power. If one wants to go faster, buy a faster aircraft, and so on. Its usually cheaper and less stress than trying to do some major modifications to create what you want. Unless you are experienced at it and just like to engineer things. Plus, have another plane to fly helps.

2 people like this

Posted

heres the thing I want a kit fox it fits all my need but I really want one with a lycoming or continental I trust them more than any other I really want 130hp but im trying to keep it as cheap as I can 

Posted

Get a PA20/22.  They can be had far cheaper than a Continental or Lyco-saurus powered Avid/Kitfox.

Posted

Get a PA20/22.  They can be had far cheaper than a Continental or Lyco-saurus powered Avid/Kitfox.

the problem is a pacer won't fit in my garage when I have the plane in ND instead of CA

Posted

You can't normally use the words 'cheap' and 'aircraft' in the same sentence.  I admit that the older Avid's and Kitfoxes are within reason of a average person but even they aren't cheap by no means. Yea, compared to a Carbon Cub, they are less expensive, but a decent 2 seat semi-bush plane for 20K or a tad less is getting hard to find anymore. They are good for most back country strips and with the right equipment can handle a little rougher strips with the right pilot.

Posted

You can't normally use the words 'cheap' and 'aircraft' in the same sentence.  I admit that the older Avid's and Kitfoxes are within reason of a average person but even they aren't cheap by no means. Yea, compared to a Carbon Cub, they are less expensive, but a decent 2 seat semi-bush plane for 20K or a tad less is getting hard to find anymore. They are good for most back country strips and with the right equipment can handle a little rougher strips with the right pilot.

and I understand that I've grown up in aviation and I understand cheap and aviation don't belong in the same sentence but im really try to stay at or just under 20K I don't are about the panel or the paint I really am looking for more for a flying project than anything else simple is better to me

Posted

All I can say is 'good luck' in your search.

Posted

Capture.thumb.PNG.b98876b955965a843d2750

Here is the Avid Magnum.

A 130 Hp Kitfox that flies safe and still fits in a standard garage for under 20K is literally a Unicorn. If you can pull that one off we will give you mad props. 

The only way to come close to your goal is to find a cheap plane in fairly good conditions and install an Apex Yamaha engine on it. You would still be doing the lions share of the building (engine mount,exhaust and wiring harness) yourself for that money. If you have to have these components built for you an engine build will run you 8k. If you do the work yourself you can get it down to 5k. I built the Yamaha RX-1 and was still over 5k and that was just the engine, adapter, gearbox and wiring harness. 

I think by now you have a pretty good understanding of what you are up against. We wish you luck.

1 person likes this

Posted

thank you guys I honestly think it can be done I know that the rotax 912 is 100hp and its a hundred pounds lighter than the lycoming but apparently the Kitfox 7's you can order the kit with a continental titan io340 which between 120 and 150 pounds more I also have heard of some one putting a continental on a 5 but I was unsure if I could do what I wanted with a 3 with that o-235 since I have one waiting to be rebuild and im just looking for the right project for it but that avid does look very appealing I've just never heard much about them where Kitfox I have some close friends who have build a few thank you for all your input though I really appreciate it. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

and I found the motor to do a 130hp Kitfox with the lycoming !!! lycoming makes a 233 which is only about 60lb different and is designed for LSA this might be my ticket its only making 116hp but I know a few tricks to build them up to get some more 

Edited by ljones7533