Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Throttle cables

20 posts in this topic

Posted

Ok so I need new throttle cables since I switched to the skinnier radial cowl. My old ones were binding up and not pulling the slides even. Does anyone have a source for a company that can make them or should I go ahead and make them myself ? If I do make them myself what is the proper way to measure for the actual cable to get close to what I need? I'm at my wits end with this stupid task . I have the original style cables where you have the normal small ball in the carb then the bike brake barrel end that goes into the lever. I really don't want to do the 2 to 1 barrel adapter that is normally used for other applications I just have no idea how to measure the inner cable. I have the outer at the length I need with a little extra for a nice swoop . Someone on here has to have that magical answer. Steve 

Posted

Whats the pull on the cable?  it should be pretty easy to measure how much pull length you need to go from the end of the barrel to the control arm and from the top of the carb to the slide.  I am thinking its around 3 or 3.5" but I cant remember off the top of my head.

I just posted on the other thread about making the cables up.  I did some for Buckchop.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

I forgot to measure all that. I measured the housing from the cockpit side to the elbow. Not sure of that helps at all . My housing including elbow is 24" and 28" actual housing is 20.5 and 24.5 they could be rounded up to 21 and 25 of ots easier. These are the fittings I need. And this kind of cable end . I had a cable from Lockwood that pulled right through the ones from avid are a little fatter 

20180929_134923.jpg

1538243721987212935497.jpg

Edited by chopndrag

Posted

So you just need a set for a 582 that is "plugs up"  should be able to order that one from Spruce.  I get home Tuesday, I will take a look in the ol plane cabinet.  I am pretty sure I have a set.  Let me know if you don't find a solution before Wednesday.  A pic of your throttle arm you trying to hook it up to would be nice.  My set up seems to be a bit different that most of the Avids I have seen.

:BC:

Posted

Mine is plugs down bit with the skinnier cowl ot made them have to be shorter. The original ones had no place to have the slack go and it was a bear trying to push the throttle

Posted

I wouldn't be able to get a picture for a while . Next weekend I got family stuff and my hanger is 40 miles away.It's just the standard avid lever . Has 3 barels for the cables to go through if you run the oil injection then the 3 on the pull side that connects to the throttle itself. The barrels are the size of a bicycle brake barel if that helps any.

1 person likes this

Posted

yeah I fat fingered that one one.. I meant plugs down.  Too early in the morning here.  Will measure the ones I have and let you know.

1 person likes this

Posted

Alright . If all else fails I'll just end up attempting to make them

Posted

Your cables sound very similar to kitfox ones.A push bike shop should be able to sell you some cable kits,the large ferrule may need some dressing down to fit.for the carb end use the sleeve off a stainless steel rivet,to clamp on ,use a brake hose flaring tool to clamp the rivet shank to the cable.This should be enough (I could hang my weight in them)but for safety I silver soldered the ends as well.If you make a pair on the bench when you fit them the adjusters won't be even(OCD I know!)as the bend radius makes a surprising difference.

cheers 

paul

Posted

I might just buy the venhill kit if all else fails. It comes with every fitting and 15ft of cable and housing . I have time I won't be able to get to the airport for a little while anyway.

Posted

yeah I fat fingered that one one.. I meant plugs down.  Too early in the morning here.  Will measure the ones I have and let you know.

any luck finding what cables you have ? If I can find out how deep they go in the carb it would be easier but I can't get to my plane until next weekend. I was hoping to have cables by then and not scratching my ass trying to figure it out . I do have a lawnmower repair shop local that makes cables but without knowing how deep they go in the carb it's useless.

Posted

Well come to find out the lawnmower shop doesn't make cable anymore. Does anyone know how deep the carbs are ? That's the only measurements I need .

Posted

Remind me tomorrow, and I'll try to get a dimention for you.  Do you have the standard Avid throttle belcrank like in this picture?  JImChuk

Photo1293.jpg

Photo1291.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Remind me tomorrow, and I'll try to get a dimention for you.  Do you have the standard Avid throttle belcrank like in this picture?  JImChuk

Photo1293.jpg

Photo1291.jpg

Yup and that's why everyone I call has no clue about my cables. I've had the wrong ones sent to me 4 times now by a couple different companies. 

Posted (edited)

Here you go Steve,  I got around to measuring the cables today.  I measured all three cables, (two carbs, one oil injection pump)  Carb cable housing were end to end 18 1/16" and 22 7/8".  With the cables pulled tight against the belcrank end of the cable housing, I had 4 1/8" from the end of the elbow going into the top of the carb to the closer end of the ball that engages the slide in the carb.,  Both throttle cables were the same in this regard.  The oil pump cable stuck out 2 7/8".  Maybe if your not to confused yet, these pictures will help.  :-)   The first three pictures are of the pump end of the oil pump cable.  JImChuk

PS  those carb cable housing lengths were for the cables only, and didn't include the elbows that go into the carbs, and the spacer the elbow screws into that you see in the sixth picture 

Photo1316.jpg

Photo1317.jpg

Photo1319.jpg

Photo1320.jpg

Photo1321.jpg

Photo1322.jpg

Photo1323.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

I think they might work my elbows look a little smaller so that might help ? I think my outer housings were closer to 20 and 24 with a good swooping bend to make sure they weren't to tight. I run pre mix so that one wouldn't be needed. I'm not totally sure they would work but they do look pretty close and is a better option then the one I have now which is no cables at all. 

Posted

Just in case you misunderstood, I was just getting you the lengths of my cables from a MK IV.  These are not for sale.  I thought you were going to make up your own, and needed the lengths.  Hope this is of some help. :-)  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Gotcha . I just need to find a place that can make them . Seems to be none around me . If I have to I'll order the kit but damn I'll have tons of extra. It's 15ft of inner and outer cable plus tons of other stuff

Edited by chopndrag

Posted

I bought a 1/4" brass rod, and found that the bike cable can be securely soldered to a small hole drilled perpendicular to the rod's axis.  This allows you to make up Bowden cables of any length.  I used a propane torch, then cut the slug to length, and cut & filed off the excess cable.  I would be tempted to use leadless solder next time.  I need to make up a double-ended Bowden for my OI pump.

Posted

I got a kit monday that comes with all kinds of different ends and 15ft of cable and housing. I'll be making them this weekend.