Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Oil injection 582

3 posts in this topic

Posted

does someone have a picture of the oil injection system? I just picked up a 582 that the previous owner uses premix. I’m on vacation and don’t have it in front of me but when I get back I’m hoping to add it back on, my big question is if he disabled it proper or just disconnected cable. Thanks, this is def the best community 

Posted (edited)

The only correct way to revert to premix is to disable the oil injection pump.  Some people completely remove it and fabricate a plate to cover the opening, but most simply remove the plastic gear that drives the pump, then put the pump back on.  The pump itself mounts below and between the two carburetors (above if we're talking Kitfox, with the upright engine).  Here's a pic of the (disabled) pump from below, on my Avid with the inverted (plugs-down) engine.  That squarish metal thing on the upper left is the bottom view of the aft carburetor's float bowl.  The white plastic gear on the oil injection pump shaft won't fit thru the hole where the pump mounts, but the housings are layered, and removing the next layer allows access.  All this engine stuff is pricey, so hopefully the seller has the pump and that white plastic gear, as well as the Bowden cable to tie in to throttle position!  The pump has two "banjo" (shaped) fittings which connect via small plastic line to the injection ports.  Maybe the banjo fittings are more visible on the second pic.  With typical strong pressure pulsations of 70-100 cycles per second at cruise there's no need to actually spray the oil at high pressure.  I think it just dribbles in, but gets essentially atomized by the pulsations.  Visible on the upper right is the oil inlet connector tube, blocked off here with some red plastic.

081818_1253[01].jpg

20180106_112529.jpg

Edited by Turbo

Posted

I believe mine has a delete plate. Sounds like the juice may not be worth the squeeze. I’m assuming there’s a few 582’s flying sans oil injection? Thanks for the pics!