Best prop for STOL, Jabiru 2200

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Any advice?

Looking to shorten my take-off roll (without changing engine!).

Thanks, Sam.

Posted

First question would be what are you running now?  Second, what it your static RPM.  Third, what is your rate of climb now?  JImChuk

PS  You are not alone, I think we would all like to take off shorter where ever we are at now.  

Posted

I have no idea about any of those three questions!  :)

Posted

I got a Luga on order but it might be a few months before I do any testing. You should find out what your performance is now. If I remember right My Mgl tells me from the start of my roll to clear a 50 foot obstacle is 423 feet That's with a wood 64/34 Tennessee Not sure how that compares to others but hope its better with the Luga Then again I am very green to STOL Flying.

Posted

I'm struggling to get out under 700ft (at gross), just off the ground, no obstacles!

Posted (edited)

I have no idea about any of those three questions!  :)

Well it will be hard to advise you if you don't provide any info to compare to.   Figure out what prop you have on now.  Brand, length and pitch.  Static rpm is the rpm you can get to at full throttle if the plane is tied off.  What rpm are you seeing at full throttle climb out also.  Another important thing is this:  What are you flying and what is your gross weight?  Those things will make a big difference in how your question gets answered.  JImChuk

PS  I should have also mentioned, what is the altitude or density altitude you are flying at where you are having the 700' take off run.  Huge difference if you are at sea level or 10,000' in performance.

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Hi Sam! If you are stuck at 700 ft it sounds like you have a fixed pitch prop.. Not even my tired 532 needed 700 ft.. I guess you would be able to swing a decent size 2 blade ground adjustable. No experience with Jab so I don't know if NR-Prop would be an alternative. Very popular with our US and Canada bases back country pilots (called "Kool prop" over there).  And I'm very happy with mine - but I have a very different engine

Edited by FredStork

Posted

Thanks, I'll look it up.  I've been surprised - I guess my (fixed pitch) prop is for cruising...

Posted

What did you figure out with this. I have a mk4 jabiru with a fixed pitch prop. Just wondering where this went?

Posted

Funny deal there,  I had a Sensenich 2 blade ground adjustable prop for a Jabiru, and ended up selling it the Sam Rutherford.  Had to ship it to England as I remember.  Never heard from him after he got it.  I think I remember reading the plane got wrecked at some point after that.  He had some kind of adventure company, and they did some pretty wild things.  I just googled him and pulled this up among other things.  JImChuk

Coming back to Labrador is like 'a pilgrimage' for pilot who crashed there last month | CBC News

Posted

The main way to increase thrust at launch is to increase the dia. That's why we supply Jabiru with a 2-blade propeller with extra strong 63.8" diameter saber blades. It provides optimum start, flight, noise and engine cooling. At the same time, we have made several dozen wooden propellers for Jabiru to improve launch performance while maintaining cruising speed and low noise. We had to use a special blade profile. The diameter was increased successively up to 68.5". We did not need high speed, our airplane did not fly faster than 200 km/h (124 miles per hour). The propeller continued to "whisper".

174 sm Jabiru 2200.jpg

carbone pour moteurs Jabiru1.jpg