Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dean Wilson Ellipse For Sale in Idaho

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I caught wind of an Ellipse project for sale in Grangeville Idaho tonight. PM if you have any interest and I'll put you in touch with the seller. She's the daughter of the builder who is no longer able to work on it and wants to move it. Some history on a little known Dean Wilson design here: http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepEllipse.html

There's only about 5 of them out there.

Posted

Now that would be an interesting project!

Posted

I looked at an eclipse kit that was for sale many years ago. It would be an awesome plane. The thing that prevented me from buying it was the wings. They were incredibly beautiful SUPER complex pieces of wooden art. there must have been 10,000 different pieces of wood in each wing to make up that shape. I am exaggerating about the number of different wood pieces, but there are so many different pieces that made up the wings, I could not imagine being able to repair one should it become damaged and since it was an orphan with no supply of parts should I break something, I walked away. Still, it is a beautiful plane. I have no idea how many are actually flying or how many kits were produced, but it was precious few. 

Posted

One of my all time favorite planes. If only I could get rid of the KF3 kit I have!

Posted

I remember seeing the one at Oshkosh in 2014. Looks a lot like a big brother to the Avid but with strange wings and struts. Any idea how much the seller is asking for their kit? That would be a cool one to rescue.