Prebuy inspection for an Avid MK4 in Texas

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Still looking for  someone to do a prebuy inspection on an Avid mk4 in Texas

Posted (edited)

Dude, I did my own pre-purchase inspection.  You can too.  These birds are simple but elegant in their design, and stout.  My advice, FWIW, is to read up and learn as much as you can on this site and others.  Take stock of your own competencies: engine mechanical stuff, electrical, welding, fabric work, etc., then look out for problems on the bird that align with your weaknesses.  On Avids, the flaperon hangars are a weak point, as they are essentially hi-grade plywood painted over with dope.  But there are 5 per side (fewer on the speedwing versions).  If one or more is broken or weak, some complex wood-and fabric work would be in your future.  All the engine stuff is pricey, so pay good attention to that being correct.  If possible take a look into the exhaust ports for scuffing on the cylinder walls, piston carbon or lead fowling, etc.  On this site the guys are awesome and knowledgeable, and will welcome and advise you along the way!  And what a journey it is!  Good luck, and welcome!

Edited by Turbo
1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks so much for the advice. Scrambling to get up to speed. The forums are a true lifeline. Reading and studying everything I can get my hands on, avidfoxfyers especially. 

Posted

Did you mention where in Texas that may help to get a response.  As you know tx is a really big state 800+ miles from east to west.

Posted

Sorry, The plane is based at the north east side of san antonio

Posted

Use this form as a guide and git 'er done! Take a second set of eyes and hands, a thorough inspection can take hours depending on condition.

Inspection Form