Hatrack Avid Flyer

21 posts in this topic

Posted

The hatrack and cargo box in my Avid Flyer C. Made out of synthetic leather glued on thin aluminium sheets. The box is as big it can be but still not interfering with the aileron pushrods at folded position. Perfect to store loose parts in the box and bags on the hatrack. The hatrack is easy removable to be able to fold wings. A cargo net could be used to secure the bags or stop them from falling on to your neck.20181006_152903.thumb.jpg.d7654a64da9641 20181006_152913.thumb.jpg.50dcabb92982b7

4 people like this

Posted

Looks nice, never seen retractable safety belts in an Avid/KF before.

1 person likes this

Posted

I like that. I have a one piece thin plywood deck that I made several years ago with the triangular hole for access to my ELT. Currently my ELT antenna is mounted just below the hole on a custom ground plane which rules out me trying to use that space for storage. Mine is a pain to remove/replace and I had thought about hinging it in the middle but now I may try to make one similar to yours although I have mine open at the top because I had planned to make a cargo bag out of sail cloth like my past hangar mate had in his Avid. I may stick with the plywood for now though unless I can find a better location for the ELT antenna.

I would love to see a close up of the door struts and how they are mounted. That is another project I wanted to do. I already have the gas struts for it.

Thanks, Dan

Posted

Thanks. I like the retractable belts, even if its a little unnecessary. 

The two piece thin alu sheets makes it possible to bend it a little to get is out easily. The leather makes it a little cosy. Under the sheets, there is attached a little angled profile next to the triangular tubings to hold the shelf in place. 

The gas strut brackets are just riveted to the door and fuselage. Nothing fancy but it works well. I believe its important that there is no play if you want to be able to fly with the doors open. I will try to remember to take some photos next time.

I am also thinking about making a sailcloth /dacron cargo bag under the turtle deck. Just so that i can bring my sleeping bag and tent with me. I am not worried about the CG because I have flown with 10lb weight on the tailgear with great performance. I will just remove the tail weight when carrying load. 

Posted

I have been trying to find a good way to fabricate the strut mounts for the door. I plan to rivet them on as well.

I suspect the extra weight he carried in the sailcloth cargo bag is part of the reason my hangar mate was always faster than me.

Posted

The door strut. 

20181013_123413.jpg

20181013_123429.jpg

20181013_123439.jpg

Posted

Thanks! Those are great pictures of your door brackets and gives me a new idea to try for mine. I believe the gas struts I have are a little shorter but I think they should still work as long as I get the brackets positioned correctly.

Posted

If would do it I would just weld a small bracket on the tube to bolt the strut.

Posted

I got ahold of a c model rear dash and got it to work in my mk 4 . I'm sure there are more out there. I like how it came out now I have room behind me with a pocket and the baggage compartment.

Posted

Post a couple of photos Chopndrag.

1 person likes this

Posted

I took a couple but it was to high resolution. I'll get some soon when I go and put my throttle cables in. 

Posted

Here is the C model rear dash in my mk4 . It works pretty good plus it has the pocket to store more stuff . 

20180909_134532.jpg

Posted

it there anything under the vinyl to make it rigid?

1 person likes this

Posted

The framework for the fuselage thats about it. I have industrial velcro holding it up. So far it holds pretty good only time will tell. 

Posted

On my Model B (prior to being totaled in a High Sierra crash) I had both the hanging cargo bag under the turtle deck and the hanging bag just behind my head. Plenty of cargo space.

Now, with my MK4 I have the cargo compartment accessable through the door on the pilot side and the hanging bag from Fischer  Upolstery. This is enough to provide space for tent, sleeping pad, stove, tool bag, folding aluminum camp table, food, clothing, etc.

I also wear a fishing jacket with the pockets loaded with first aid and survival equipment. Pocket #1 has a list of what is in the other pockets.

John M

3 people like this

Posted

Made a shelf for our dog Molly,she  didn't like the sloping hat rack. I just taped together two lexan plates that folds out and fits on to the hat rack line a shelf. Molly loves to fly and always wear a safety belt and ear muffs. 

IMG_20190709_192436_9.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

On my Model B (prior to being totaled in a High Sierra crash) I had both the hanging cargo bag under the turtle deck and the hanging bag just behind my head. Plenty of cargo space.

Now, with my MK4 I have the cargo compartment accessable through the door on the pilot side and the hanging bag from Fischer  Upolstery. This is enough to provide space for tent, sleeping pad, stove, tool bag, folding aluminum camp table, food, clothing, etc.

What about the C/G when loading a bunch so far back in the fuselage? What max weight did you fly with in your B model? I have a C model and I am Always goping ower max gross when having passenger and full tank and some cargo. I fly carefully then and not pulling any G and baking not more than 30 degrees in level flight. But it would be nice to hear what others have survived , LoL.

Posted

I have loaded mine up.  My baggage goes from behind the seat all the way back to the front of the vert fin.  Keep the CG forward of 19" and your fine.  Anything more than 20" and you will not have enough elevator to get the nose back down in a stall without pulling in full flaps.  Mine flys much better around 18".

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Ok I will do some W&B and aim for 18" CG. I have noticed that it lands better when I have weight in the cargo. 

I remodeled the hat rack today to get more space. I removed the plates and made a sling shelf that goes down just above the flaperon mixer. My dog is much happier with the bigger headroom. Now I need to unhook the ailerons when folding the wings. But with castle nut and a key ring, that's just fine.

IMG_20190713_143037_0.jpg

Edited by anders.stenhammar84@gmail.
1 person likes this

Posted

I use the same diaper pin clips that are used on the wing pins.  Pretty sure the KF IV and up do as well since they have to be disconnected to fold the wings.

:BC:

Posted

Done some improvements today. Getting ready for a cross country trip next weekend.

IMG_20190714_170224_1.jpg

IMG_20190714_122730_6.jpg

1 person likes this