Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Greeting from Ohio

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I will be picking up an Avid Flyer A in Indy on Tuesday.  I currently own a Kolb Firestar II that I built over the last 1 1/2 yrs.  It was inspected by the FAA in July and passed with flying colors.  The Avid is actually a bare fuselage and wings w/o the flaperons.  It does have the peddles and controls.    Looks to be an interesting project.  I will be looking for a lot of parts so, if there are any out there, I'm interested. 

I am a retired mechanical design from the chemical industry.  After 38 yrs of getting up early and coming home late it's hard to just stop and relax.  I have restored a 30 Model A and now the Kolb. I look forward to working on the Avid.  Hope they fly as well as they look.

Jim P.

Posted

I have a pretty good pile of stuff. 

Posted

Welcome to the group.  We will try to help with any questions your come up with as well.  JImChuk

Posted

I am in Ohio as well (between Columbus and Cincinnati). I just picked up a MK IV that I will be doing some repairs to over the winter. Where are you located in Ohio? 

Posted

Good luck with your project. I am really enjoying flying my Avid A. They are a great little plane.

Brooks

Posted

I am in WVa and rebuilding a Kitfox model 2.  I get most of my fabric and covering supplies from Johnstown near Columbus.

Posted

Thanks guys.  I am located in Zanesville, just off I-70. I put it in the hanger last night.  I went out today to look things over and it looks as though the plane never was built.  The engine mount and fuselage has not been altered or touched.  Wings.....well they could use some help.  They are speed wings with a fuel tank in one wing and the other was removed.  Looks like a chop job.  I will replace the wings.  Does anyone have a templet for the ribs for the speed wing? I will build the extended speed wing.  I need to build an elevator unless I can find a good used one.  

Where are you located in WVA Allen?  I worked in Parkersburg for years.  Also Hawth200, where are you located?  I amtaking instructions down at Red Stewart's in Waynesville.  Would be kinda cool to check out a couple that are together and maybe get some great ideas.    

Posted

I am in the middle of WVa at Webster Springs. I go to Parkersburg now and then to Hale's Landing airpark. They have an old Avid there that's going to be rebuilt(hopefully) soon. Hale's Landing is a homebuilders live-in airpark just outside Parkersburg at Newark. Parts are out there, just have to hunt a little for them.

Posted

japowell,

My Avid is located at KHOC, Hillsboro Ohio. I am frequently flying at Clinton County (I66) not far from Waynesville at the moment taking lessons for instrument rating. I'd be happy to show you my plane sometime if you are in the area.

Seth 

Posted

I will be picking up an Avid Flyer A in Indy on Tuesday.  I currently own a Kolb Firestar II that I built over the last 1 1/2 yrs.  It was inspected by the FAA in July and passed with flying colors.  The Avid is actually a bare fuselage and wings w/o the flaperons.  It does have the peddles and controls.    Looks to be an interesting project.  I will be looking for a lot of parts so, if there are any out there, I'm interested. 

I am a retired mechanical design from the chemical industry.  After 38 yrs of getting up early and coming home late it's hard to just stop and relax.  I have restored a 30 Model A and now the Kolb. I look forward to working on the Avid.  Hope they fly as well as they look.

Jim P.

Hi Jim,

I spoke to you at the Zanesville Fly In.  I bought  the Avid C HH  we spoke to you about.  Thanks for your advice and its now in my barn ready to put together.

Jack  

Posted

I'm from Somerset, OH  forgot to add that

Posted

I remember you.  I was wondering if you picked up that project.  Congrats, you wiil have a blast.  If you need any help getting all of your paper work together let me know and I'll show you how.  I would love to come down and take a look at your project.  I bought one from Indy but I got no drawings or manuals. Did you get drawings and a construction manual?  Give me a call and I'll stop by.

Jim

740-683-5098