Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Building New Wings

27 posts in this topic

Posted

I built new 16.5" extended HH wings (same length as the Magnum wings) for my Avid+.  I also doubled the spar insert length to 36" and tripled the strength, plus extended my lift struts about 11" farther outboard and changed the washout to 7/8" over the extended length of the wing, and changed the drag struts from aluminum to 4130 Cr Molly.  I was fortunate enough to have Chris B. give his experience with the flexing of his extended wings while I was early in the build process of mine so could make adjustments to extend the lift struts which I didn't originally plan to do.  I extended the length of my flaperons by 18" also and have no issues with the flaperons binding so be sure to take measures to strengthen your wing if you decide to extend them.  More info on my wing build is in the Fat Avid /Avid Plus section.

Posted

Thanks guys for the info.  I cut out 6 new ribs last night.  My ribs are on 12 centers so I'll be adding 2 per wing plus the butt rib.  I will also add a longer wing spar stiffener that Suberavid suggested.  At the moment everything is in the hanger but I am trying to get the shop reorganized so I can bring it over for the winter, then I'llget somepics.

Thanks again for the help.

Jim