Magnum transition training

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm new to this site, and this is my first post, but I'm quite pleased to report that I'm in the process of buying a Magnum.  I have come to agreement on price with the owner and am getting the pre-purchase inspection scheduled.

I have been shopping around for insurance and have what I feel is a good quote given the fact that I need to get my tailwheel endorsement and I have no time in type.  The challenge is that I need to find an instructor to do the transition training who has time in make and model in order to be approved by the insurance carrier.  Does anyone know of an instructor (in Oregon ideally, but really anywhere in the west could be okay) who has Magnum time?  The insurance broker said that the time in make and model for the CFI can be negotiated, so while time in a Magnum would be best it sounds like time in other Avid or Kitfox models might suffice.

Thanks,
Jamie

Posted

Why not go to paul, who does the Kitfox training in Idaho. He gives transition training in a LSA Kitfox. He also offers a mountain flying course.  Pretty sure the insurance co. would approve him. I think his name is Paul Leaderbrand. You can get his number thru Kitfox factory.

Posted

Allen - Thanks for the quick response and really good suggestion.  I should have mentioned that I did contact Paul Leaderbrand earlier this week, and he is booked out until at least after Thanksgiving.  Further mentioned that things become weather dependent that late in the year and we will have to see what the weather brings.  

Posted

Seems good tail wheel instructors are scarce anymore. I got mine 30+ years ago from an old amish guy who rebuilt J-3's. And yes, he wore his hat in the cub.  It was a sight to watch those amish women in their bonnets rib lacing a cub wing and they could do one in less than an hour. Takes me an hour to do one rib but that includes coffee time.

Posted

One of our members is a very experienced tail dragger instructor who checked me out. He lives in the SFO area, but travels as needed, I think. I bet he could also line up a suitable aircraft for a checkout at Palo Alto, his home turf, if you were willing to travel. Marco Caflisch is his name, he has a facebook page

Posted

Thanks for the information about Marco.  I will reach out to him.

Posted

I don't know how far you are from Tri-Cities Wa, but Jim Fish did my tailwheel training in my Magnum. Jim is a good friend and one of those million hour flys anything really well pilots. His personal plane is "Pinocchio" a 540 powered extended wing and fuselage PA 22/20 thing. He has a ton of tail wheel time. He LOVES the Magnum. He is also our local Designated Pilot Examiner. Here is his Bio:

http://www.bergstromaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Jim-Fish2.pdf