Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Header tank

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Finally got my new header tank mounted. 3 1/2 gal w/sender. Gives me a total of 15 gal cap. Fuel gage is in header tank so when it starts dropping I know I have 45 minutes of fuel left till shutdown. Header_tank_001.thumb.JPG.57495806183190

1 person likes this

Posted

Is this an eBay aluminum fuel cell?

Posted

No, I don't do Ebay. Its a circle track car fuel cell from Summit Racing in Ohio. I investigated having one made but this one was cheaper ($129) than having it made.  I did change the fittings from automotive to hose barb type. Weighs 2 lbs empty. It comes with a sealed cap but I also removed that to mount the sender unit which is a vertical float type. The tank is 8"X8"X12". My original header was the 1 1/2 gal poly tank and was aging pretty good. Plus 3 1/2 gal gives me about 45 min reserve when the main tanks go dry. Its made by Rhodes and sold by Summit Racing pt#  RHC-18-0103.  Neat little tank.  Well made for the price. I priced aircraft header tanks from different suppliers and they were expensive.

2 people like this

Posted

Great idea! 

Posted

Thanks! With the sender unit in the header tank I know when the gage needle starts to move, time to land.  This is with a 3-4 gph fuel burn. Normally one would not run it that close but when the mains are out, its good to know what you've got left and how much time.

1 person likes this

Posted

i've used the ebay ones to build derby and dirt track cars. Just as good as anything else, thats why i asked.

1 person likes this

Posted

If your planning on running the mains that low I hope your installing a fuel pump because you wont have any head pressure.

Posted (edited)

Don't ever plan on it, but fuel pump will be installed anyhow. Two hours in a cramped plane is more than my body can handle now days. My intended engine requires approx. 3 psi pressure at the engine.  A back up pump is generally installed most of the time just as a extra safety measure. And I installed 5/16" fuel lines up from the 1/4" that most 2 strokes use. My days of long cross countries are over. Anything over an hour, I usually drive. Here in the mountains, weather can change in less than 15 minutes from good to crappy. I became a trailer wuss in the last few years. I know I can get there and get back home when its on a trailer. (fly-in's of course). I am a fair weather pilot now. My favorite is clear with winds 0 gusting to 1 or less.

Edited by Allen Sutphin