Hunting with your Avid, August 2018

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I was not a very successful hunting year this year (so far) but it is always full of fun, challenges and a great chance to enjoy the beauty of God' creation.  Getting to hunt with your plane adds another element of fun and challenge to it for sure.  This year the winds and rain made us pretty happy to make it home without some serious damage.  We ended up bugging out of our sheep spot earlier than intended after getting blasted by the winds.  We had double duck bills and tie downs on each wing and tails and were glad they held.  The tents were smashed and a constantly havening to be restaked and retied down.  When the river started flowing heavily between our landing area and our camp spot we found another place we could get to to take off, then when the water started flowing between our camp and that area we decided to get out as soon as the winds gave us a chance.  Spent 2 days at the Rohn cabin which was kind of relaxing but wishing we had enough fuel to get out to another hunting spot.

DSCN2955-1.jpg

DSCN2961-1.jpg

DSCN2964-1.jpg

DSCN2977-1.jpg

DSCN2983-1.jpg

DSCN2998-1.jpg

DSCN3002-1.jpg

DSCN3004-1.jpg

DSCN3006-1.jpg

DSCN3012-1.jpg

DSCN3015-1.jpg

DSCN3018-1.jpg

DSCN3021-1.jpg

DSCN3025-1.jpg

DSCN3038-1.jpg

7 people like this

Posted

the public cabin is very cool , it is great to see that people passing here have so much repect for an open shelter

Posted

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. 

Posted

Awesome!

Posted

Awesome pictures as usual Randy. Are you guys using an electric fence around the planes? Are those new wingtips on the Avid? 

Posted

Hi Kenneth, Yep, the electric fence lets you sleep better at night.  I don't know if it has been actually put to the test but so for has worked 100%.

I built a set of tip stall fences and I think they help a bit at slow speed but not dramatic.  The bad thing is they collect a lot of leaves in tight strips.  I like the new extended wings though, especially when the plane is loaded.  It gets off much better and more able to control at the very edge of the stall and arrest the sink rate with much less throttle.

Wow, you have been busy! I read your recent post. talk about getting things done!

Great to hear from you,

Randy

Posted

Great photos Randy, it looks fantastic. But you be safe out there... I've just seen some really scary photos of a bushpilot who got surprised by a bear and got badly beaten up before his friend could save him! 

Posted

Living the dream right there!