Autumn light over the mountains

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

While I have always never liked winter (that's why I moved from Sweden to France... I was an early climate refugee...) I must admit the often very mild autumn we get here in France can be very nice. It is the perfect time to fly in the mountains, the air is calm and the glowing light shows you the best side of the mountains. I went for a 2 hour flight this Saturday and as I wanted to focus on the flying I left my cameras at home... But it was just to beautiful to keep to my self so I took some pictures with my phone... The flight was around and north of Grenoble. image.thumb.jpeg.e00de62d0773417e7b404d4

image.thumb.jpeg.1b15cba2afd46a52d6b72ab

image.thumb.jpeg.8d2bef7020d863852892d5a

image.thumb.jpeg.0a7ddece86a588fbf96d1bd

image.thumb.jpeg.7ab8d4ad6f6900b1dfa4c96

image.thumb.jpeg.9e0330250eb56d381bf91c1

Edited by FredStork
11 people like this

Posted

superbe

Posted

Beautiful Country. Thanks for sharing. 

Posted

Wow. Beautiful!

Posted

I bet there is gold in them dar hills.

Posted

And here I thought I flew in the mountains!  Think I'll shut up about flying in the mountains and go hide somewhere. Those are mountains and a perfect picture!

Posted

Way, way more rugged than I would have ever guessed.

Posted

Great pictures Fred; beautiful country.  I would never have guessed it either.

Posted

Very Awesome Fred!  That is some beautiful countryside. Glad your back in the air so we can enjoy the Great Pics!  Thanks for sharing.  Cheers Randy 

Posted

Hello Fred

It seems that your doors allow to open only the top part in flight. It is a custom mod or the original configuration of your plane?

Posted (edited)

Hello Fred

It seems that your doors allow to open only the top part in flight. It is a custom mod or the original configuration of your plane?

Salut Jerome!

The open windows is probably the best modification I have done to my plane. It is actually very simple, it is just an additional frame (12 mm aluminium tubes) inside of the upper part of the door that uses the same hinges as the door. The easiest way to do the window frames is doing them in 4 parts, one for each corner, and join the 12 mm tubes together by placing 10 mm tubes inside the 12 mm. This allows to cut the tubes once the corners are adjusted in the door frame and get a good fit.  

image.thumb.jpeg.aaeeec431564f37a18ec6daI reused old door gas springs to keep the windows open. They will stay open as long as you fly clean but when I take photographs and pilot with my knees (i.e. not always that clean) they sometimes dip a little - always enough to get in front of the lens.

image.thumb.jpeg.53f04c670d719fdd0e1d04fThe window latches are obviously 2CV window latches (what else for the 2CV of the air?). You can get the fast and cheap from the 2CV Mehari Club in Cassis. 

The windows are also very appreciated by your passengers, people love to take photos but through the lexan is not very good and few passengers dare to open the entire door...  

On hot summer days it is just soooo nice flying the 2CV way with the elbow out the window.

image.thumb.jpeg.564e17de787d2bc8c4d7aca

I hope this helps!

Amicalement,

Fred

Edited by FredStork
3 people like this

Posted

Thanks Fred

Could make a great winter project!

Posted

Le 2CV du l'air!  How apropos.  Some may not recall that diminutive Citroen.  Great pics of some rugged terrain, Fred!

Posted

Le 2CV du l'air!  How apropos.  Some may not recall that diminutive Citroen.  Great pics of some rugged terrain, Fred!

Correct, the full name of the legendary post war Citroën 2CV (produced between 1948 to 1990) reads Deux Chevaux for two horses (as in 2 steam horses powers, about 9 hp today). I had a later model in my youth with a much bigger engine, 28hp, and could do 0-60 mph (very close to top VNE) in less than 32 seconds... The popular name for the 2CV was "Deuche" and I was amused to find this sticker on my Avid Flyer when I bought it (unfortunately it didn't survive the rebuild - but I honored the memory by using the 2CV window latches...)

image.thumb.jpeg.3a87e8da9a30d31b1808df1 

1 person likes this

Posted

Did u at least save the fabrics with the sticker and staple it to the wall in ur shop? Cool sticker tho.

Posted

Fred,

Better view than through my old Lexan,,

Time to build door half!

What clear plastic did you use for the bottom half of the doors? How's it holding up?