control linkage friction

13 posts in this topic

Posted

hi,

yesterday i made some rigging, i find control colon for stab is not moving freely, there's some friction on the long command going in tail. i've read on manual commands must be tied and not loose, but in this case i really wonder if the air will act on stab to feel micro variations. i'd like input from experienced pls; do i have to trim somewhat or just put some oil ? do i need to have a very light mouvement on control colon? thx

Posted (edited)

hum guess my bad english makes things unanderstanting ;)

so i ask again :

i have some  friction in pitch control, is it bad?

Edited by efil 01

Posted

You will always have a small amount of friction plus if the elevator is connected, you'll feel the weight of that also. Hard to figure what you call friction, but none the less, you shouldn't have an excessive amount in any control.

Posted

Is it a friction in the links or do you think it is the push-pull rod that creat the friction, maybe it is bent?

Posted

As an observation for my Mk IV, there is no friction as such. On the ground the stick feels heavy due to the weight of the elevator, but the motion is free and not at all sticky. I suspect any friction will come from some rod or crank rubbing in the area just aft of the stick, under the seat and into the mixer behind the seat. I would look hard to find it just to be sure.

Posted

the push pull create friction, i put it new and never removed it so i know it is not bent, i will put some oil a every nylon points and we'll see

Posted

the push pull create friction, i put it new and never removed it so i know it is not bent, i will put some oil a every nylon points and we'll see

you better use grease than oil so it stays in place...

Posted

yeah i meant grease ;) 

Posted

I would not grease the bushings they are ment to be self lubricated.  Grease will collect dirt and cause issues later. Were the bushings drilled with metric bits that may have been slightly smaller?

Posted

i remember try  one by one on push pull before they go in place , as i've not connected yet the stab, may be with his own weight, things will be different ...

Posted (edited)

I would not grease the bushings they are ment to be self lubricated.  Grease will collect dirt and cause issues later. Were the bushings drilled with metric bits that may have been slightly smaller?

Hi Paul, you must have got then luxury version... There were no bushings on mine, and no space to put any either. But I had the same thought about dirt so this is what I did (and after a few years it still work well), keeps the grease in and the dirt out:image.thumb.jpeg.0a21769a1724822ec6da325

image.thumb.jpeg.4e636bc9b2c4f65f97eb20e

Edited by FredStork

Posted

interesting .. my C from 1989 has nylon bushings, i made some adjustments and the mvt is better, now i wait final assembly to see how it is

Posted

Nice solution Fred, I didn't know they supplied them without bushings with earlier models.