Elevator resistance

5 posts in this topic

Posted

The last flight I noticed that when I did my elevator check if I let it down slowly with my hand is seems normal (no resistance). If I pull the stick back and let it go it lets down slowly like the elevator control rod is pushing against the controls. I plan to take the elevator control rod loss from the controls down between the seats and see if the resistance is there without it hooked to the controls. I see some movement in one of the blocks that hold the main control tube to the floor board. I'm wondering if one of the blocks is loose enough that its causing a bind from side to side once weight is applied to it from the elevator control rod. I may need to pull the belly pan off and tighten the bolt that hole the block to the floor and apply some lube. 

Has anyone else had the same thing happen? 

Posted

I did when I took my seat out to do some work and reinstalled it . I didn't have everything right when it went back in and it was rubbing on the control tube when I sat in it just enough for some friction. Yours could be different but that was my experience.

1 person likes this

Posted

I checked the controls out tonight without my ass in the seat and it was fine. I may have to pull the seat and see why they are all of a sudden having issue with each other. Maybe the hard seat settled in and is creating an issue. 

Posted

I can't remember very well it was a long time ago, but I remember placing one or maybe two small 2x2 blocks somewhere under the fiberglass seat so it wouldn't interfere with the controls of my MKiv. The blocks didn't lift the seat, just prevented it from sinking when weighted. Wish I could remember better but maybe it will help give you an idea.

Posted

I used a couple scrap pieces of 5/4” treated deck boards under the seat of my old plane to keep the pan off the linkages. 

I attached them to the tubes below with a little hysol and zip ties.