Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Buying my first airplane, looking at older Avid/Foxes, some advice needed

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I have decided to buy my first airplane, and after years of research, I am looking mostly at Avid derivatives and clones.

My budget is $15K purchase price, so I am looking mostly at 2 strokes (I am hoping for a 582 or 618, but I would be open to anything as long as it is well documented).

I currently fly about 10 hours a month, but I would like to fly more.  I plan to store the plane at a tie down (where I live hangars are hard to find, but I am looking) and I want folding wings to bring it home for maintenance.  

So the questions:

Is there any good documentation as to what to look for in a pre purchase inspection on the older Avids and Kitfox 1/2s?

I am a low time pilot (with some taildragger experience in a Champ), and I want a taildragger, would it be worthwhile to consider trigear with the intention of converting to conventional or is that too difficult on the older models.

My primary concern with storing outside is UV damage to the fabric, to get a better understanding of the risk I am taking by storing it outside, can anyone who has recovered the wings give a time estimate of how many hours it takes (I realize this is variable, but I am looking for rough numbers for a first time, with some assistance).

Last, what can you see that I may have overlooked?

Thanks for the help!

Posted (edited)

As someone who just bought an older Kitfox and got bit, be aware that you can ask people about something particularly if a service bulletin was completed with and they can look you in the eye and lie to you without batting an eye. 

If you look for a kitfox here is the page of service bulletins make sure you're familiar with the ones that apply to the model you're looking at. 

http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/index.php/service-bulletin

And last word of caution if you do buy one and trailer it NEVER EVER START UNLOADING IT WITHOUT UNFOLDING THE WINGS!!!!

If you do and the tailwheel jumps the track there's a lot of weight on the tail with the wings back and it can smack down onthe trailer frame and do some damage.  Ask me how i know. 

20181002_201426.jpg

Edited by Willja67
Added link to service bulletins
1 person likes this

Posted

I wouldn't worry to much about the service bulletins  if your on a 15,000 dollar budget Just make sure its safe. If every seller completed every service bulletin you would have whats called a 100,000 dollar kitfox 7. Most early birds need a little work to get them up to par but it doesn't take much unless you go overboard and over think everything. Enjoy.

Posted

If you get an early mk4 Avid, make sure it really is. Mine was marketed as mk4, and the paperwork reflected, however mine is likely a B or C

Posted (edited)

I recommend not getting an airplane until you can get access to/afford a place to keep it between flights other than tied down outside. I know some people do it, but I do not think Avids ot kitfoxes are really designed to spend their life outside in the elements like general aviation aircraft are.

Edited by Chris Bolkan
2 people like this