Airplane tool kits

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Our flight last weekend was saved twice with a well prepared member (The Machinist) with a tool good kit. 

I would love to hear what you guy have for tool and supplies in the plane during trips. I have started a list and want to make sure I don't miss something important.

Posted

I have a survival knife that has a flashlight, seatbelt cutter , flint and starter, window breaker. I also have general tools in my baggage compartment that are a flat and Phillips screwdriver, socket set and ratchet adjustable wrench , zip ties , safety wire, spark plugs and a couple other things

1 person likes this

Posted

Mine is pretty much what C&D has.  metric end wrenches 8-17 mm.  Standards 3/8-5/8.  Same with socket set in 1/4" drive.  Good multi bit screw driver, good adjustable wrench.  Pretty much a tool to fit every nut and bolt on the plane / engine.  I also have a small container of the safety pins, cotter keys, a few different nuts, bolts and washers.  Fuses, shrink wrap, black tape, etc.  After having a wire rub and loosing my radio I started keeping a few things in there to be able to set down and do a few field repairs if needed on the electrical system.  I keep the tools in a small back pack that's shoved to the rear of my baggage area.  

Over kill?? perhaps if I was just flying local.  A lot of my flights quickly get "remote" as I am sure yours do as well so a couple pounds of tools that might get me back home is worth it.

Does not hurt to toss in a couple extra exhaust springs either although you can hold it together with a few wraps of safety wire but it wont last long (trust me).

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

What stuff saved the day for you guys on that trip vance? 

Posted

Wrenches, screwdrivers, safety wire. If we would have had an assortment of bolts and hose clamps we would not have had to scrounge for stuff. 

1 person likes this

Posted

On my snowmo I zip tie a bag with rarely used stuff (spare bolts, zipties, ect) to the frame.  Saves having it in the storage area taking space - bouncing around- in the way.

Think I'll do that in the plane too.

Couple add-ons to stuff mentioned: vise grips, gorilla tape, elect wire and crimp splices, hack saw blade, 2 magnetic attach flashlights, coat hangar / bailing wire.

Outback and on overnights  I carry a lithium  pocket jump start pack.  

Posted

I have been looking at tool bags to start making my kit. I have collected a few items. My first purchase was a multi-screwdriver. I like the idea of having a small plastic storage container that holds a few cotter pins, bolts, electrical crimp splices and such. Vise grips are a great addition to any tool kit. Well all know you can fix anything with gorilla tape and zip ties...LOL!  I know a guy who duct taped a Luscomb back together and flew it home after he flipped it and about tore it in half.

,:lmao:

Posted

I had one of my semi' drop a driveline, lost the nut off the input shaft and was able to repair well cobble it together with some 1/4" nylon rope and drive it from Bozeman MT to Casper but that is a story for another place!!!